forty-two

I was sound asleep on Colby's shoulder, until he woke me up. "Hey Ellie," he softly said.

"Mmh?" I let out, rubbing my eyes.

"We're going out to get McDonald's, do you want to come?" he asked.

I looked around, everyone was either putting on shoes or gathering other stuff they needed. I nodded. "Yeah, would rather not stay here by myself."

He chuckled. "I'd stay here with you if you didn't wan to come, there's no way I'd leave you here by yourself."

I laughed. "No, it's fine, I'll tag along."

He nodded and handed me my shoes before standing up to retrieve his phone from the table. I tied my shoes onto my feet and stood up, following everyone as they headed for the exit of our hotel room, and then the hotel itself. "Feels good to be outside," I said, letting out a small sigh.

"I know, right?" Corey replied. "It felt like some weight's just been lifted off my shoulders."

"Exactly," I nodded.

As we headed towards the car, Jake and Sam were discussing ghost stuff and I was just walking - not really paying too much attention to their conversation.

"Actually, Ellie," Sam said. "I remember this one time when we were kids you told me about that creepy door in your room."

"Oh, yeah," I said. I shivered as I thought about it. "I'm glad my parents decided to move across the street. That house was absolutely terrifying."

Corey turned his head towards me. "You too? What happened?"

I looked back at him. "I used to live in this really old house when I was about nine years old. It was creepy, I don't know if Sam remembers."

"Oh, yeah, absolutely," he chuckled. "I was scared shitless in that house."

I laughed. "You definitely weren't the only one. Anyways, I had the room in the front of the house, and in my room there was a door. The door led to a weird area that was just, like, isolated I guess. It wasn't really a room we could use or anything, it was just there. I would hear the door creak open at night but I never had the guts to look."

"What?" Corey said. "And this wasn't some wind or anything?"

I shook my head. "Nope, no wind anywhere. One time I did look, and I swear I saw two eyes staring back at me. I ran out of there and you better believe I never entered that room again. I switched bedrooms and about three months later we moved out."

"Jesus," Colby replied. "I would shit myself."

I laughed. "I bolted out of there so fast I had no time to shit myself. As to this day, I'm still curious about what it was. Though maybe some things are better left unknown."

"Definitely," Corey agreed. "If I had seen a demon, I wouldn't want to know."

Jake shrugged. "I would."

"But you're mentally insane, Jake, you don't get a say in this," Corey chuckled.

We reached the car and got in - I claimed shotgun this time, so I wasn't squished again. Colby drove off to the nearest McDonald's and we placed our orders at the drive-thru. Afterwards, we returned to the hotel and carried our food back to the room. Jake had put on Family Guy and we all sat in silence as we ate our meals.

"It's almost three," Sam said after a while. We were just chilling at this point. "We should prepare for the seance."

"yeah," Colby agreed. "Y'all wanna do it at the big table?"