twenty-six

I didn't want to get up that next morning so I stayed in bed until it was one in the afternoon and watched Netflix with Kat.

"Come on, Ellie. You're going to have to confront this situation one time or another," Kat spoke up.

I groaned and pulled the blanket over my head. "I know but I'm not good at dealing with this stuff."

Kat ripped the blanket away from me and tugged on my arm to get me to stand up. "You can do this. Let's just start with getting ready."

I pouted at her but eventually gave in and made my way over to the bathroom with yesterday's clothes. After I was done, I walked over to Kat's living room. "You happy now?"

"Verrrrry," she grinned. "Now we can finally leave."

I grabbed my phone from the kitchen counter that I hadn't looked at once the entire time I was here, and I still didn't want to so I just shoved it in my pocket without any further actions. We walked outside and I took place in Kat's car. "I really need to get my car brought over here," I replied. "I miss being able to go wherever I want to without having to take someone else's car."

"I get that," Kat nodded. "We'll make work of that soon."

I nodded and pressed my cheek against the glass, watching the outside world. It's weird to think that in every single one of these houses, someone with a whole other life and their own problems lives, just trying not to drown in the LA setting. I often forget that.

It didn't take long for us to reach the Traphouse. When inside, we were greeted by Sam, who looked happy to see us. "You guys are late, I almost thought you weren't coming over anymore," he said.

"Ellie didn't want to leave so we watched some Netflix. I had to force her to come here," Kat snickered.

"Just dreading the conversations I have to engage in, that's all," I sighed. "Speaking of, where is he?"

"In his room, as well," Sam replied. "You should go see him."

I nodded. "Those who are about to die salute you."

"Jesus, Ellie," Kat laughed.

Sam chuckled as well. "I doubt it's going to be that bloody."

I softly chuckled. "I was just joking to lighten the mood."

"Off you go," Kat said, slightly pushing me in the direction of the stairs.

I continued my way upstairs and walked down the hallway at a slow pace. My feet felt as if they were dragging bricks along, and I didn't even know why I was so nervous since I didn't think I did anything wrong. When I reached his door, I deeply breathed in one last time before raising my knuckles to the white wood.

I knocked shortly. "Come in," I heard.

I opened the door and shut it again once I was inside. "Hey Colby," I said.

He looked up from his computer that he had on his lap in his bed. He looked tired. "Hey Ellie."

I don't know why those two words broke my heart in tiny pieces, but they did. The sound of his voice just seemed so vulnerable. I sat down at the end of his bed. "How are you?" I asked, watching his face, but his facial features really didn't give away much.

"My best friend betrayed me, so, I guess you can do the math," he replied, closing his laptop. "How are you?"

"Worried, really," I uttered.

A soft sigh left his lips as he put down the laptop next to his legs. I kicked off my shoes and crawled over to him, so I could sit down next to him, cross-legged. He looked down at his hands, and it was only when I followed his gaze that I noticed he had injured his right hand.