forty-five

We didn't have much to do the next two days so we spent them moving Colby's stuff to his new apartment, only leaving the most necessary things at the Traphouse. The third day, however, Brennen had asked to meet up with us at his place.

"Do you have any idea what we're doing?" I asked Colby as I got my purse, ready to leave for Brennen's. He shrugged as he took his car keys from the hook and opened the front door, letting me through.

"I have no idea," he replied. "I don't even know if this is just for fun or for a video."

I stepped into his car the same time he did. "Oh," I said. "He wouldn't tell me anything, I thought maybe he'd told you."

"Nope," he chuckled as he backed out of the driveway, turning onto the street. "But if he's gonna waste my precious time I could've spent on watching Aladdin with you, I'm ending him."

"Watch yourself," I chuckled as I hit him in the arm.

He smiled and continued driving towards our destination. After a while of us singing - very out of tune - to the radio, we arrived at Brennen's place.

Colby and I walked over to the front door, the boy next to me knocking on it.

"Aha," Brennen smirked as he opened the door to see us. "My best pals have arrived."

Colby frowned at him. "What's up, man?"

Brennen chuckled and took a step back so we could enter. I stepped across the threshold, Colby following me closely. Brennen closed the door behind us. "I have invited you over so y'all can meet my new girlfriend."

"New girlfriend, huh?" I smirked at him as we followed him into the living room.

"Meet Charlotte," he said as he pointed towards the girl on the couch. "Charlotte, this is Ellie and that's Colby, they're two of my best friends."

She stood up and I nodded as I slowly shook her hand. "Yeah," I said. "We've met."

"At the party, right?" she said, a painful expression on her face. "I'm sorry about that."

I chuckled rather dryly as I took a step back. "We're good."

I watched as she greeted Colby as well. This was the girl that had informed me about the rumors at that one party, after which I had a fight with Colby. And now, standing here in front of her, I couldn't help but get a bad vibe from her. It was weird, really. I didn't trust her.

She smiled overexcitedly as she shook Colby's hand, and I could tell by his posture that he was slightly uncomfortable. "Yeah," he replied to her. "Nice to meet you too."

"Well, now that that's over," Brennen announced as he clapped his hands together. "We can leave for dinner."

"Dinner?" Colby asked him.

Brennen nodded. "Yeah, Tender Greens. Charlotte's never had it before so we're taking her."

"Okay," Colby shrugged.

I followed them back outside, to Brennen's car. Charlotte looked at me as she opened the door to the passenger's seat. "Do you want to ride shotgun? I don't want to be rude."

"Oh," I said. "I'm fine in the back, thanks though."

"No, I insist," she grinned and shoved me into the seat, rather harshly.

I raised my eyebrows as I repositioned myself, getting my legs into the car just in time or Charlotte would've slammed the door on them.

I looked back at Colby who was already in the backseat, frowning at me. I slightly shook my head at him, as to say I had no clue what was going on either. I pulled out my phone and typed him a text as Brennen got into the car and drove off.