Chapter Thirteen - Witch Tradition

Lucresia

I gripped Nick's hand tightly as we waited for Father Blackwood to enter the Church of Night. We were all waiting for the barbaric tradition to take place. I was extremely anxious for everything, I can't believe that tonight Prudence would be eaten. Prudence was already sitting on the throne of skulls, looking at her I felt light-headed. I just wanted to go home. Suddenly Father Blackwood came out as I shifted with anxiety.

"Brethren, sisters, a very unholy night to you all." Father Blackwood said as everyone responded, except me. I just wanted out of here. Nick got close to my ear and whispered, "It's okay Lu."

"Each year, the Feast of Feasts commemorates the selfless sacrifice that saved our coven." Father Blackwood continued being interrupted by the whole coven.

"Praise Freya! Praise Freya! Praise Freya!" The witches and warlocks chanted as I simply looked at Nick in plain disgust. How can everyone be alright with this?

"However tonight, I must be the reluctant bearer of dark tidings. In an unexpected turn of events, through circumstances entirely out of our control Prudence Night cannot fulfill her duty as Queen of the Feast." I sighed in relief and looked over to Nick who looked very confused. The rest of the coven was furious.

"Blasphemy! We're ravenous. We must feast!" The lady behind me chanted as I looked at my mother who had a look of indignation on her face. I felt the exact same way that she did. My dad had a very serious look on his face.

"Moreover! Moreover! The Dark Lord has revealed to me that this year there shall not b-" Father Blackwood was interrupted by a lady with curly hair walking to the front.

"Freya lives! Praise Satan!" She exclaimed taking a knife to her throat and slitting it in one swift motion. I instantly buried my face in Nick's shoulder as he hugged me tightly trying to comfort me. People started digging into the girl on the floor, I literally could not look.

"Let's just go. I can not stand this awful scene. " My dad stated as ny mom nodded. They quietly made their way to the doors. Nick and me following behind them, everyone was so busy and crazy that they did not notice us slipping out.

Once outside I looked over at my parents who looked furious. "I can't understand this, we have to talk to the Dark Lord... How is cannibalism okay?" My mom ranted as my father just nodded.

"Let's just go home." My dad said as he took my mom's hand and teleported them home. I looked at Nick who had an upset look on his face. I felt traumatized, in my 16 years worshipping the Dark Lord I had never encountered something so gruesome and unspeakable.

"Want to go home?" He asked me as I shook my head. "Not really." I said as he nodded and took my hand.

"Let's go to Cerberus'." I said as he nodded lightly. I knew he didn't stand being around so much mortals but Nick still agreed. He agreed to everything for me,  earlier today we celebrated thanksgiving with my sister and not once did he complain.

We walked all the way into town, not even bothering using our magic. We didn't once talk, I guess we were both stunned by today's events, or at least I was. Soon enough we reached the small cafe and made our way inside. I sat down on a booth as Nick went to get us some coffee.

"Hey, you're Kennedy's sister right?" I looked up to see Harvey, the curly haired girl, and the short haired girl. I smiled at the group, not finding a reason to be rude to the bunch.