❥Chapter 44

"Carl! Emily!" Beth's voice called for us from the house, "Come back inside

"Carl! Emily!" Beth's voice called for us from the house, "Come back inside. The meeting's over and Lori wants to see you."

The two of us sat up slowly and looked around. Some members of the group had began to go to their tents or sit around the fire at our campsite. I could hear Glenn and Maggie's voices on the porch while the crickets began to chirp loudly.

"We're coming." I called out to her as Carl crawled through the windowsill. Once he was safely inside the room, he helped me through. I didn't have a single foot through the window when he had to save me from face planting on the floor.

Carl's strength wasn't enough to keep us from falling to the ground with a thud. "Oww.." is what Carl moaned underneath me. I had landed right on top of him, but wasn't able to move due to his arms being so tightly bound around me and my shoelace being caught on something outside the window.

"Oh my goodness!" Beth and Jimmy rushed over to us. "Are you two okay?"

Jimmy helped Carl up while I was still stuck on the ground because of my shoe. Beth fixed my problem and then helped me up. "Your shoelace was caught on a nail outside the window. You're lucky that you didn't get scratched by it when y'all were crawling through there."

Carl began laughing while I picked his hat up and dusted it off. "Of course Em would be the one to get stuck on a nail. She's so clumsy."

I playfully hit him with his hat and frowned. I called him a name under my breath then put his hat on my head. "Thanks for helping me out, Beth." I thanked the blonde girl for her service, only for Carl to whine in response.

"Hey! I'm the one who caught you. Don't you remember?" He placed his hands on his hips and raised his eyebrows waiting for a response.

I acted like I was thinking by placing my hand on my chin. "I'm sorry. I don't recall such a thing. Thanks for the hat though."

With that, I took off running out of Beth's room and down the stairs. Carl was right on my heels, so I called for Maggie, who was on the porch, as I ran through the front door. "Maggie! Maggie! Save me! Carl's going to get me!"

I ran and hid behind her as Carl ran out of the door. "Come back here with my hat!" He yelled at me as I ran away from Maggie and to the campfire where everyone was. I ran over to stand behind Lori while she grabbed Carl by the arms.

"Alright. Alright, you two. Settle down." She spoke softly, but with sternness in her voice. Carl and I both immediately settled down, but Carl snatched his hat off my head causing my hair to fall in my face. We both sat on the log as she squatted in front of us. "We need to talk. If you hear a gunshot tonight, I don't want you to be afraid. I don't want you to worry, okay?"

We nodded and remained quiet. Lori took a deep breath and nodded at us before she stood and walked over to talk to my dad and Rick before they began to walk off to the barn. I took a deep breath knowing the group had finally decided to kill Randall. I stood abruptly causing T, Carol, and Andrea to suddenly look my way.