❥Chapter 17

Emily's POV

Emily's POV

"I said it. Didn't I say it? A thousand times. Dead in the water." Dale said, throwing his rag down while standing at the hood of the RV. Everyone gathered around on the highway to see what the problem.

"Problem, Dale?" Dad asked, walking up with his gun in hand. I watched his posture as he spoke. His body language speaks better than his words. I've learned that since I was placed in his custody.

"Just a small matter of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no hope of-" Dale stopped his sentence as he watched Daryl start raiding a nearby car for supplies. "Okay, that was dumb."

I giggled at Dale, who rolled his eyes though his seriousness stayed on his face. Daryl walked back over to the group, and I backed up to be by Carl and Sophia's sides.

"If you can't find an radiator hose here, there's a whole bunch of stuff we can find here." He said, holding on the strap of his infamous crossbow.

"I can siphon more fuel from those cars for a start." T-Dog stated, grabbing the gas cans from the RV.

"Maybe some water. Or food" I muttered the last part. Carl smirked at me as my stomach growled as I finished my sentence. I playfully punched him in the arm and started to walk away to look through a nearby vehicle for supplies.

I stopped in my tracks when Lori said, "This is a graveyard." I turned to look at her, like the rest of the group, and saw she was staring dead at Rick playing with the necklace chain around her neck. Putting her hands on her hips, she finally stated, "I don't know how I feel about this."

Everyone stared at her for a second before beginning to search the cars, completely ignoring what she said. Carl and Sophia started to walk over to a car when Carol and Lori called out for their children.

"Hey, Carl. Always within my sight, okay?" Lori called.

"You too, Sophia." Carol called out as well. Both of them nodded at their mothers. I shrugged my shoulders, knowing that I didn't have a mother to tell me to stay in her sight.

Lori surprised me by calling out, "You too, Emily. I'll be watching you like a hawk." I smiled at her for caring.

The three of us kids continued looking through cars for anything that could possibly be useful. Carl wondered a little ways away from me and Sophia, but stayed in sight of his mother. I made sure that he was in my sight line as well. I wasn't about to lose my best friend to some wondering walker. Right about the time I got that thought through my head, Rick ran over to us telling Sophia and I to get under the cars, then ran over to Carl.

Sophia and I crawled under the same car, since we were both small figured. I held my hands in fists to keep myself still, and Sophia hugged her doll to her small chest. Suddenly, feet started staggering by the cars. Walkers... Sophia silently whimpered while I held my breath. We had to remain quiet.