❥Chapter 35

My thoughts still echoed in my head as we continued to do our work

My thoughts still echoed in my head as we continued to do our work. I had just started working on problem number nine when Carl suddenly said something to his mom, "Does Shane think Sophia's dead?"

"Shane's just scared." Lori stated.

Carl believed exactly what she said and asked, "Of the walkers in the barn?"

"Yeah." She seemed unsure of her own words, so I spoke the truth.

"He's not scared. He just has anger issues. He hates when people won't do what he says when he says it." I stated, staring down at my work. "Rick refuses to listen to him and Hershel won't since it's his land. It's just a matter of time before..."

"Emily." Carl said, placing his hand on mine. I looked up at him, his eyes stared into mine deeply before turning to his confused mother. "Mom, I'm not leaving until we find Sophia. And I don't want to go even after that."

"Well, we're not leaving, Carl. You finish those problems." Lori stated.

"She's gonna like it here. This place could be a home." Carl stated, thoughtfully.

Lori looked over to me with a stern face. "Emily, I need to speak with you."

She got up and led me to the field where I had found her crying over the pregnancy test. She stood in front of me, not daring to look my direction for a few moments before suddenly turning to stare at me. I shriveled underneath her stare.

"What was that?" She questioned. I remained silent because I honestly didn't know what to say. I spoke without thinking. "Answer me when I'm speaking to you. How could you say something like that?"

"How am I not supposed to say anything? Can't you see it? If Rick doesn't get dad and his anger under control, then I'm scared of what's going to happen. Right now, we're safe. Those walkers are secured in that barn, but all it's going to take is one little thing and I'm afraid he's going to go off the deep end. I'm scared he might do something to get us kicked off the farm." By now I was in tears. "What happens then, Lori? What about Sophia? What about Carl? What about you and the baby? This world isn't safe and it's only a matter of time before we lose someone else. It could even happen to me."

Lori quickly pulled me into her arms and held me tightly. "Oh, honey. I won't let anything happen to you. Carl is going to heal. And no matter what Shane says, we will find Sophia. Rick will fix all of this. He's talking to Hershel. And you have no reason to worry about me or the baby, we will both be fine. Alright, sweetie?"

"I love you, Lori. I don't want to lose anyone else." I cried harshly into her chest. She remained silent as I cried. I knew she couldn't make the promise that we wouldn't lose anyone else because that wasn't in our control. All we could now do is hope that things will be alright.

The rest of the day was spend with Carl and I staying close to Lori. She wouldn't let us out of her sight and that was fine with us. We didn't want to leave her sight. Carl would suggest games for us to play and Lori would find a reason why we couldn't, so we ended up sitting on the steps of the Greene's farm home. I sat on the top step leaning against the post so I could comfortably read my book. Carl sat quietly on the bottom step and drew weird patterns in the dirt with a twig.