❥Chapter 42

"Carl! What are we doing? Where are you taking me?" Carl remained quiet despite my protests

"Carl! What are we doing? Where are you taking me?" Carl remained quiet despite my protests. He dragged me by the hand with that big, suspicious grin still on his face. It wasn't until we approached the old rickety shed and I heard my dad's voice that I realized Carl was taking me to where Randall was being held. He dragged me around to the back where my dad and Andrea couldn't see us. "Carl, no."

"Come on. Just a little look and then we'll be out." I crossed my arms over my chest once he let go of my hand. "We won't get in trouble. Please." He begged, placing his hands together and giving me the puppy dog eyes.

I rolled my eyes then waved my hand towards the ladder for him to climb up first. I kept a look out as he climbed. Once he was at the top, he whistled for me to climb up as well. I slowly scaled the creaky steps and refused to look down. Once I was at the very top step, Carl helped me into the loft.

"This is as far as I'm going. My dad is outside and if he finds me in here, then I'm dead." I whispered as he tried to pull me closer to the ledge.

He looked at me for a moment then nodded slowly. "Alright, but if the door opens get low. I'm hoping they don't notice." He whispered back before moving slowly to the edge to sit on a bench.

Randall heard the creaking of the boards that Carl stepped on. Seeing Carl, the sweaty and injured guy started whispering, "Hey. That's a sweet hat. I'm Randall. What's your name? The sheriff guy- that your dad?"

Carl crawled down the ladder as the boy spoke. I was trying to stay calm, but if what they said is true, then this guy is dangerous. Carl finally reached the floor as Randall starting saying how Carl was lucky to still have his family.

"I lost mine. Hey, I- I don't know what people been saying about me, but I didn't do nothing. I swear. Your dad was gonna let me go till his friend started fighting with him." I suddenly shifted at his words nearly falling on the boards. I could see Randall look up to see where I was, but he couldn't see me because of the shadows.

Dad and Rick fought when they were supposed to take Randall away?

"It got pretty bad. I was kinda worried. My camp, we got lots of supplies. You help me, I'll take you and your folks back to my people. We'll take good care of you. Keep you safe. Just gotta-- Just gotta help me get out of here, okay?" he tried persuading Carl, but it wasn't working. "Just help me pick these locks or find the key, okay? Come on, please? Please?"

He kept trying to lunge towards Carl, but the chains held him back. With each lunge, there was more rattling from the chains and suddenly my dad burst into the shed. I quickly retreated from the loft and down the ladder, falling onto my bottom because I missed the last step. I quickly stood and dusted the dirt off my shorts before rounding the corner where Andrea was.

She looked at me curiously, but I simply rolled my eyes at her and listened to Carl and my dad talk. I know it was rude to just roll my eyes at her, but I was still upset about her irresponsibility to watch Beth causing her to harm herself.