❥Chapter 16

Emily's POV

Emily's POV

"What do we do now? Where do we go, Rick?" I asked. Rick and I had walked away from the group to talk about everything that had just happened. We were outside of the city now, stopped to refuel and assign where and who we'd be riding with.

"We stick together. Head to Fort Benning. Like we planned at the quarry." He said, looking out over the city of Atlanta. He seemed stressed. His shoulders slumped forward and showed the sweat stains in his police uniform that he was still wearing. He wiped sweat off his forehead with the back of his right hand before looking done at me. He noticed the concern written on my tan freckled face. "It's a long trip, I know. But we'll work through it. No need in worrying about anything." He reassured.

"The trip isn't what I'm worrying about. You are. You're pretty stressed out. And I've noticed that you and Dad haven't been getting along recently. Does that mean I'll have to stop talking to Carl too?" I asked. The thought of not being able to talk to my best friend was heartbreaking. Carl and I tell each other everything, and haven't went a day in three years without talking.

He chuckled, "No, Shortcake. You and Carl are best friends. I wouldn't do anything to tear that friendship apart because I know the two of you would hate me for it." He ruffled my curls, before looking back at the city. It was a beautiful view, but knowing that the city was filled with the undead was unsettling and destroyed the image.

"Rick?" I asked, not looking at him. He hummed in response letting me know he was listening. "About what Jenner told you. Clearly I wasn't supposed to know, but I do. What are we supposed to do? What are you going to tell the group? Or better yet, when?"

"I'll tell them eventually. When the time is right. But for now I think it's best if we keep this information to ourselves. There's no telling how the group will respond, and they've already faced too much heartbreak as is. We also don't know if Jenner was even telling the truth." He said. His last statement causing me to look at him.

"Why would he lie about that? It's so serious, so why lie?" I asked.

"I don't know, but we're not taking any chances." Rick said, looking down at me seriously. I nod knowing what he meant. "Give me a few minutes and we'll be on the road, okay?"

"Okay. And hey, don't stress yourself out. Wrinkles don't look good on your forehead." I said, turning and walking away.

I could hear him chuckle behind and mumble, "That girl is nothing like her father. She's an original." Hearing that caused me to smile.

꧁꧂

"Whatcha writing, Shortcake?" Rick asked, looking over at me from the driver seat. When he was done taking a moment to himself, the group decided to hit the road. Dad was going to make me ride with him in the RV when Rick said that it wouldn't be right to split us kids up and force me to ride with a bunch of adults. I didn't mind either way. Glenn was in the RV, and he and I always make up little games or joke around. But dad gave into Rick's request, so I was riding in Carol's Cherokee. Since there was no room in the back seat, Lori let me sit in her lap. Carol, Sophia, and Carl were sitting in the back while Rick drove.