❥Chapter 20

Emily's POV

Emily's POV

Rick....

Rick Grimes....

Officer Rick Grimes....

"Rick..." I whispered to myself. He was here. On the Greene's farm. He was still alive. My heart leaped for joy. That is until I saw who he was carrying.

"Carl.." I said, breaking from Maggie's hold.

"Carl." I said louder, running down the steps towards them. Maggie called out my name and was shouting protests.

"Carl!" I said, my voice cracking at the sight before me. My eyes were playing tricks on my mind. It had to be. Carl looked exactly as he had in my nightmare the day before. Bloody, pale, unconscious... Tears made their way down my face when my small legs finally got me to Rick. He had tears streaming down his face as well. He was shocked at first to see that I was here, but quickly put his focus back on getting Carl help.

"Was he bit?" I heard Mr. Greene call out to Rick. I looked back to the farm house and saw him make his way down the stairs as Maggie stood where we were before.

"Shot, by your man." Rick called in response. I froze at his words. Otis? He wouldn't do that. He saved me.

"Otis?" Patricia called at the thought of her husband. Her face reflected mine with confusion.

"He said to find Hershel. Is that you? Help me. Help my boy." Rick pleaded to the elderly man, who looked at me. Seeing the tears on my face, he must of realized that these were my people. He rolled up his sleeves and started instructing people.

"Get him inside." He said, showing Rick through the house. I began to walk in behind Rick when Mr. Greene called out, "Jimmy, keep Emily outside. She doesn't need to see this." Jimmy did as told and held me back from going inside.

"No! Jimmy, please! You don't understand! He's my best friend! You can't just keep me out here while he's dying!!" I shouted at the poor teenaged boy, who was only doing as he was told. I struggled against his grip until I heard shouting behind me.

"Move!" My father's voice sounded through my ears. I turned to see him shouting at Otis, who was running as fast as he could and was panting beyond belief. "Move it, I tell you!"

"Dad!!" I shouted, my voice still breaking. He looked over at me and his anger turned to shock.

"Emily?" He asked, not believing it was me. I ran over to him and jumped into his muscular arms. Tears were still streaming down my face as he hugged me back. "You're alive? We've been looking all over for you and Sophia. Is she here?" He asked. I shook my head at him to answer his question.

"Carl's been shot." I stammered, pulling back from the hug to meet his dark eyes.

"I know. Come on. There's Rick now." He said, just as Rick began walking out of the Greene's house. I jumped out of dad's arms and ran to Rick, who looked as though he was in daze. Stopping a few feet in front of him, I looked at the man I'd known most of my life. His face was dripping sweat. His shirt had armpit stains from the salty liquid as well. His eyes, though still very blue, were in a trance. His hands dripped with his son's blood.