❥Chapter 41

About an hour after Lori bandaged my hand, I sat on the porch swing

About an hour after Lori bandaged my hand, I sat on the porch swing. Carl had went to hang out with Glenn and help with some things. I just silently swung in the swing until I heard pounding and yelling coming from upstairs.

My feet moved before my brain could process what I was doing. I quickly ran into the house and up the stairs to where the yelling was taking place. I opened Beth's door to see Lori and Maggie banging on the bathroom door. Maggie was close to crying, frantically pounding on the door begging for her sister to open the locked door.

I didn't know what to do, so I stood there feeling useless. Lori pried the door open to reveal a crying Beth holding her bleeding wrist. I walked over and stood behind Lori.

"I'm sorry." Beth cried, looking between her sister and Lori. Maggie assured her little sister that it was okay and held her while leading her downstairs.

Lori and I followed them downstairs. Maggie sat her sister down and then placed gauze on Beth's wrist. "I need my dad. This will most likely need to be stitched up."

"I can go get him." I volunteered, heading for the door.

"He's at the stables." Maggie called out to me. I nodded and then quickly walked out the door.

I ran across the yard and straight for the stables. Glenn and Carl noticed me, but I brushed it aside. i needed to focus on getting Hershel for Beth. When I was about to be at the stables and had my sights on him, I yelled, "Hershel, Beth needs you now!"

The panic was evident in my voice, and he quickly threw done the brush that he held in his hand. As he quickly approached me, I turned to run with him back to the house. "What happened?" He asked, the concern dripping from his lips.

"She locked herself in the bathroom, smashed the mirror, and then she cut her wrist." I answered as we reached the steps.

We both ran up them and he quickly entered the dining room where Maggie had Beth sitting. She was still crying and holding her wrist. It was still bleeding, but not as bad since Maggie still held a rag over it. Hershel walked over to his daughters, heartbreak in his eyes.

"Bethy..." He spoke woefully.

"I'm sorry, daddy." Beth cried into her father's arms as he hugged her. A pang ruptured my heart at the sad sight.

Patricia handed Hershel a first aid kit and set up for him to begin stitching Beth's wrist. I looked out of the window to see Andrea running towards the house. Maggie saw her, too, and stomped to the door. Lori and I followed her.

As Maggie stepped onto the porch, Andrea had reached the steps. "Where were you?" Maggie asked, aggressively. I'm guessing Andrea was supposed to watch Beth.

"I heard. Is she all right?" Andrea breathed.

"She would be if you had stayed with her." I had never seen Maggie so angry. "Where were you?"