Chapter 1 - Jack Kinley

5 o'clock in the afternoon

Jack awoke, his eyes slowly came to focus on the naked bulb above. He was dimly aware of his body being rigid and straight - no movement possible. Pulling his head upward he could see thick straps over his arms and legs. Saliva pooled in the back of his throat and he swallowed, panicked. More saliva came and over and over he drank it down so as not to panic. He twisted his limbs, turning them, feeling the friction of the fabric against his skin.

In that place time was marked by the coming of meals and the medications. Never was there anything good, anything that would lift the spirits. Always there were the violent patients to steer clear of, or those that harboured grudges for obscure reasons.

Behind his locked doors and barred windows, time slowed - the clock ticking out the moments lost to just sitting and staring from one peeling poster to another.

In here he had no rights. He cannot leave. He cannot choose when to rise or the time at which he may go to bed. He cannot refuse the poisons that make his mind slow to the point of stopping at cease every emotion. The rooms have no handles and are sheets of smooth metal aside from the window staff peer through.

A doctor entered his room bringing a syringe with him together with a pill and a glass of water.

The doctor said "Here, Jack. Drink your medicine."

Two people came behind the doctor after he finished his statement.

Jack stared at him, recognizing the face that he used to see but can't remember. He can't restore information in his mind for so long.

The medicines probably made his memory shorter.

He tilted his head a little bit, making a weird look to the doctor.

Then the two people behind him instantly moved like they were preparing themselves in case Jack gets uncontrolled again. Jack looked at them too and smirked.

There isn't a person in there who isn't at least a little afraid of him - him who is soft and gentle. Crazy is crazy and the staff are the worst for carrying that stigma.

He was one of the most dangerous patients around because of his impulsive nature. A lot of blood have gone through his hands.

His plans were scarier, darker like criminals'. But the way he looks was the most deceiving of all.

He looked stable when you look at him at first meeting.

He was very good in hiding his madness that normal people won't be able to decode what goes within and what doesn't.

One person removed the thick straps and freed him for a while.

He was sitting on his bed, guarded by multiple eyes, watching him, CCTV pointing at him, recording every move he makes...

He can feel their eyes moving as he moves. He can feel all their deadly stares.

Jack stretched his arm and reached for the pill from the tray that the doctor is holding. He swallowed it and drank the water without hesitation. Then after he drank the medicine, the doctor held the syringe and said "This will hurt a little."

He pumped the liquid inside. Jack said "That's for?"

"Calming your nerves... 3 hours from now, the medicine will lose its effect. We'll be checking you out every 3 hours from now."

"For?"

"For your safety."

"I am safe."

"You are not safe."