Chapter 11: Debilitating Fear

Something's Up With the Grey Twins [Boy/Boy]: Chapter 11: Debilitating Fear

Alexxis's POV 

                I stumbled up the front step, my vision hazy and unbalanced. My stomach lurched at the sight of my spinning world and I lost my lunch all over the Shandler's porch. I reached out for the door handle only to have it fall just out of reach. I crumbled against the heavy wood, my head still spinning faster than I could comprehend. The door was opened and gravity took over, forcing my limp body to sprawl into someone's unsuspecting arms. "Mom, he's home!" Shay yelled as she carried me over to the couch. 

"Oh my god." Holly shrieked at the sight of me. She ran over and placed a hand on either side of my face. I instinctly flinched, wincing at the pain that never came. My foster mother wore a look of pity as she forced me to look at her, "Alexxis, where have you been? He's freezing, Shay go grab his comforter." Shay shook her head before running down the hall and out of sight. 

Suddenly one Holly became three as I tried to push her away, only meeting air. "I don’t want to go to sleep." I whined, laughing uncontrollably at her confused face. 

"Alexxis, you're not making sense...are you even speaking English?" Shay tossed my blanket from my bed over me, her and Holly working to warm me up. I didn't even know I was cold. 

Shay sat next to me, pulling my legs over hers. "He smells like Uncle Mike." She observed with a disgusted look. 

Holly let out a stressed sigh, "Yeah, he's drunk." Shay stayed with me when Holly went to retrieve a bucket, just in case I dry heaved. I allowed my eyes to close, her fingers lightly tracing circles on my hand. I liked the feeling and smiled even though I probably wouldn't remember this in the morning. 

                My head pounded agonizingly, the light only making it worse. My mouth was dry with a tacky film from a night of endless puking. I couldn't help but feel like an idiot, not to mention embarrassed beyond all doubt that I had turned to alcohol in the first place. I gagged at the smell of cooking food in the next room and I instantly slammed my hand over my mouth so I wouldn't vomit all over Holly's floor. I ran to the restroom and got there just in time to dry heave into the toilet. I collapsed next to it, my body feeling too weak to keep myself up. 

"Knock knock." Shay smiled as she approached me. She sat down next to me and offered me a plate of dry toast. "My mom said this would help." I hesitantly took it. "She was really worried about you, you know?" 

"I don't see why...she barely knows me." I whispered, all traces of my usually cocky behavior gone. 

She pulled her legs up to her chest and held them there. "She may not know you very well but she still cares...That's the whole reason why she started taking in foster kids in the first place." She slightly nudged me as he pushed her fringed hair out of her eyes. "What did you think you were going to accomplish by drinking anyway?" 

"I don't have to answer to you." I pushed myself off the ground and stumbled down the hall into the bedroom. I slammed the door behind me and threw myself against it. I couldn't let Shay get close to me - I couldn't let anyone get close to me. I slid down until I was practically hugging my legs. Tears stung my eyes and I quickly wiped them away. I couldn't be a bitch and crying over stupid, random shit wasn't helping me. 

"Alexxis? I'm sorry if I said something wrong." I could feel Shay's weight against the door and a part of me went out to her. She really hadn't said anything wrong, she was just a girl trying to make a friend...I only wished she had chosen someone else. She was better than me; although she'd never admit it, she was.