Chapter 24: Part 2: Reunited

Something's Up With the Grey Twins [Boy/Boy]: Chapter 24: Part 2: Reunited

Alexxis' POV

               Alex and I sat on either side of Tanja, our hands still linked behind her back. 

"How's your betrothal to Lukas going?" I hated Lukas, mainly because he used to bully Alex and I when we were younger. 

"It was called off after his family's business went under a few years ago. His father was arrested for fraud so his mom and all the kids had to move back in with family." I smiled, the thought of his misfortune warming me - a form of payback for every time he made us cry. 

Alex leaned further against the railing, "What are you going to do now that he's gone?" 

Tanja absently played with a chain around her neck, "Lukas didn't really matter to me." She looked at the silver links in the sunlight and smiled contently. 

"Do you remember Eldrich?" I faintly remembered him but there was really nothing to remember... "Well anyway, we've been together for three years and we were engaged last spring." That's why Lukas, or any other boy would mean nothing - her heart had already been given away. 

"What if your family finds out?" We asked her at the same time. 

She shook her head reluctantly, "They won't find out. Eldrich and I are leaving next week and I don't plan on ever coming back." I was glad that she found someone to marry for love over money but it also sucked that she would only be able to do it in exile from her family. "You guys aren't exactly excited about being back - are you?" 

"No." If it were up to us, we would be back in the states. This whole life that currently surrounded us was not our own and it was too difficult for us even to get used to. 

We all looked at each other for a moment before the silence was filled with our laughter. "Boys, you're supposed to be inside." Garrick hissed, casting a downward glance at Tanja. "...and you little whore need to get off my property. Stop corrupting my nephews." She looked genuinely hurt but got up anyway. Alex and I hugged her before she skipped down the stairs and was swallowed by the shadows that weren't chased away by the light that seeped through the windows. 

"She's not a whore!" I argued defensively, the thought of anyone hurting her enraging me. 

"How much do you honestly know about her?" I stayed silent, knowing I knew next to nothing about the girl I once called my best friend. "Exactly, she is a tramp - woman of the night - and you two will not have anything to do with her." I didn't believe his but I also didn't know enough to adequately defend her. 

"Sven-Steffen!" A group of aunts surrounded Alex and Is the second we walked through the door. Garrick disappeared back into the crowd and like a switch, it clicked. I knew how to get Alex and I home permanently but I had to get my Onkel alone for the proposal. 

"It was so good seeing you two again." An older woman smiled and pulled her children in front of her, "Say good bye to your cousins." They mumbled a good bye and followed their parents out the door. Others followed, wishing everyone a good night before leaving. I was happy now that the house was beginning to empty, I could feel Alex slowly relaxing next to me. 

"It's time for you guys to go to bed as well." Aunt Leoni spoke to her children: a son and daughter, their eldest son having already been sent to bed with a newly tanned backside. 

"We don't want to go to bed yet." They whined, each of them grabbing at Alex and me. 

Leoni smiled and took their hands, "Enough. Let's go to bed before Papi gets angry." They followed silently. 

"What's the matter with you two?" Garrick questioned from behind us. 

Alex and I turned to see him leaning against the door frame. "What do you mean?" 

Garrick crossed his arms tightly. "You guys disappeared outside and then when I brought you inside you just stared like everyone that talked to you were strangers!" 

I scoffed. "They are strangers." 

"They are your family!" 

Alex pushed me behind him, a gesture I hadn't seen since we were young. "They are not our family! We don't know these people-" Alex yelled, his voice only being silenced by Garrick's hand lashing out and slapping his cheek. His eyes were wide and I could see the fear. 

"What's your fucken problem?!" I pushed passed Alex, my own fists lashing out in anger and defense. The thought of anyone hurting Alex again didn't set well with me. I only managed to throw a single good punch before Garrick grabbed my wrists. I had hit him square in the eye, hopefully giving him a deep shiner. 

"Stop it!" Leoni screamed, her voice cascading off the walls. "Boys, stop it right now!" Suddenly water was thrown over us, halting both of our actions immediately. "I said stop it!" Leoni was fuming, her fingers tightly wrapped around he now empty vase. "Go to bed boys, I have to speak with your uncle." Alex took my hand and pulled me back to my feet. 

"Are you okay?" His cheek was tinged pink where he had been slapped. I lifted mu hand to frame his face but he pushed it away. "I'm fine." He grabbed my hand and pulled me down the hall; now, not only was I his little brother, but I felt like it too... 

"Alex what's wrong?" He closed the door to our room, pausing only long enough to lock it. "Alex?" 

He fell to his knees, his face landing in his open hands. "I'm sorry Alexxis." He sobbed. 

"Sor-For what?" What did he have to be sorry for? If anything, I should be apologizing for the fact that Garrick had laid his hands on him. I kneeled in front of him and attempted a smile. "You have nothing to be sorry for." 

He reluctantly shook his head, "I have a lot to be sorry for but, more than anything, I'm sorry I couldn't protect you." 

My heart began to race as anxiety seeped into my veins. "I didn't need protecting Alex...not like you." 

"You're wrong. I wasn't there when our first mother tried to drown you or when the next shaved your head because you kept pulling out your hair. I knew you were stressed out and I wanted to help but i didn't know how." I had completely forgotten about our second set of parents, but they had been trying to help me. I sat back, stunned. I didn't know Alex knew about our first mother. He grabbed my hand, tears once again rimming his eyes. "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you when you needed me most." I looked up at him, his eyes glossy and his posture defeated. "I heard you scream from the next room. I heard him threaten you and make you beg -" Now I was in tears. He heard the whole thing and he knew what happened...but I didn't blame him. I couldn't blame him. We were only ten. It wasn't my fault and it wasn't his fault - it was that man's fault. 

"Shut up Alex. He was a disgusting pervert and you are in no way at fault for his actions." I didn't realize i was shaking until he pulled me into his arms and held me like he did at Sarah's. "I wanna go home Alex." I whimpered. I needed Shay. I needed her kind words; I needed her to tell me that it wasn't my fault... 

"I know." 

I turned over in his arms and proceeded to tell him about my plan. With every word that left my lips, more and more hope began to fill my heart. Freedom tasted so sweet and the probability of this plan actually working felt so real I could practically touch it.