Chapter 3: The Voice

Something's Up With the Grey Twins [Boy/Boy]: Chapter 3: The Voice

Alex's POV

                I followed closely behind Alexxis, my heart pounding as we neared John's house. We were three hours late and I was praying John hadn't noticed. "Relax Alex." Alexxis took my hand and pulled me closer to him. My heart slowed but it still beat fast. "John's probably already asleep." His words were soothing. 

'Alex, you know he's lying.' A voice spoke in my head. 'He's lying to make you feel better.' I tried to shake it from my mind but it never went away. It had become so common I could pin point the voice from the crowd and yet, I didn't even know who it belonged to... 

I stopped, jerking Alexxis to a halt. "Th - The lights are on." I whimpered, knowing John was waiting for us. He had never actually hurt us but I thought my first new mother wouldn't either. "I don't want to go inside." 

He rested his hand against my cheek and I subconsciously flinched away. "Alex, you're fine. You're with me remember?" He smiled and I wanted to smile too but I really had nothing to smile for. We wouldn't even be in this mess if it weren't for me, we'd still have our mom and dad to look after us. "Stop thinking like that - I know you're thinking about them. How many times do I have to tell you it wasn't your fault?" 

"But it is my fault." I cried, biting into my thumb to hold back a sob. 

"Stop that." He pulled my hand away from my face. He hated when I chewed on my thumb but it always seemed to calm me. "You're gonna end up hurting yourself if you keep doing that." He kissed my cheek before pulling me into a hug. I snuggled closer, wanting to feel the warmth - something that proved I wasn't alone. "Come on, let's go inside." I allowed him to pull me up the walk. I could see John standing on the other side of the door, belt in hand and for a split second, his face turned into our first foster mother's. 

'I told you he was lying.' I hated the voice but it always seemed to be right... 

                Alexxis and I sat on the hard, wooden chairs in the therapist's office. If was mandatory that we come here twice a week although Alexxis and I have really stopped paying attention all together. She would ask us the same banal questions, we would answer them with the exact same answers we did when we were eight and then we would go home. "Alexxis Grey, you can go in." Fear clenched my chest - we never had to go separately before. 

"Alexxis don't leave me!" I cried as I grabbed his hand as he got up. 

He sat back down next to me, "Alex, I'm right through the door. I promise I'm not going anywhere." He lifted my fingers and forced them onto my chair. "I'll be right back." I watched him walk through the heavy metal door and teared up when it closed behind him. I didn't want to be alone in the office - even if he was just on the other side of the door. I pulled my legs up to my chest, my heels resting on the edge of my seat. 

"Are you alright hun?" The secretary asked as she walked around the counter. "Alex?" I flinched away from her when she attempted to lay a hand on my shoulder - I hated when people touched me, only Alexxis' hands were allowed to touch me. My breathing began to labor and my heart sped faster, an odd source of energy ran through me just like it always did when I was away from my twin. "Alexxis." I whimpered into my arms, only loud enough for me to hear. 

"Alex, calm down." She spoke, this time his hand laying flat against my back. A memory that I had tried to lock away bubbled to the surface and I snapped. I hit her hand away, screaming before running to the other side of the room and threw myself into the corner.  

The door swung open and Alexxis and our therapist walked out. I ran to him, throwing my arms around his legs. "What happened?" He asked, worry prevalent in his voice.