Chapter 9: First Day

Something's Up With the Grey Twins [Boy/Boy]: Chapter 9: First Day

Alexxis' POV

                I rolled over in bed, my head igniting with blinding pains. The smell of new sheets filled my nose as I limply grabbed for Alex, who I knew wouldn't be there. I slowly opened my eyes just to find that the spot next to me was empty. For the first time since we were eight, I had slept alone...Unfamiliar walls surrounded me, the foreign noises of an actual family living out their morning vibrated off my closed door. I slowly stood and grimaced at the ice-cold floor beneath me. I hesitantly walked over to the sliding door that lead to the backyard and rested my head against it. I was surprised I was able to sleep last night, only, I wouldn't call it sleep. I tossed and turned until I blacked out, Alex's pleading eyes filling my mind the whole time. 

"Alexxis?" Two knocks sounded on my door before it opened, Shay walking in with her eyes covered by her free hand. I slightly laughed at the childish antic. 

I covered my mouth in an attempt to quiet the laugh that invariably found its way to my lips. "What are you doing Shay?" I crossed by arms over my bare chest, my shirt having been lost in my battle with the blanket last night. 

"I - I don't know if you're descent." She squeaked, her cheeks flushing. 

"I'm wearing pajama pants." I filled in as I walked over to the bed and picked up the comforter that had fallen. 

She lowered her hand, her cheeks still bright red. "M-My mom said br-breakfast is ready." She stuttered. 

"Are you nervous or do you stutter naturally?" I asked, being the asshole I was. 

She looked genuinely taken back. "J-Just get ready." She walked out, pulling the door shut behind her. 

I slightly laughed, the guilt not hitting me until she closed the door. She was picked on at school and the last thing she needed was to be picked on at home as well but it was my natural defense...I was an asshole because I didn't want to let anyone get close to me. 

                I quickly pulled on a fresh shirt that Holly had bought me yesterday after Jessica left. It had been years since I had new clothes and Holly went all out. I now had a full wardrobe and I even got a few of the items a bit small to accommodate Alex's slightly diminutive frame. It was a bit awkward having someone other than my twin fawning over me...it was weird for no other reason than she was actually acting like a mom over a foster parent. But what about Alex, where was he? The likelihood that he was being treated as well as I was was slim, but hope was the only thing keeping me going at the moment. 

"Alexxis, it's time for breakfast!" Holly called. I took one last look around as if it was the last time I was going to see this room before I slunk through the door. The unfamiliar smell of pancakes and other breakfast food filled the air and my stomach rumbled in response. I hadn't eaten in a couple of days since the last time Alex and I ate together I gave him my lunch in hopes he would at least gain a few ounces. He felt guilty about it but I insisted I wasn't hungry... "Sit down dear." Holly smiled and motioned at an empty chair. I slowly lowered myself, noticing everyone's eyes on me. To my left was Shay and the chair in front of her was empty, Holly occupied the chair across from me. 

"Sorry I'm late." An older man walked into the room, tucking a newspaper under his arm and claiming the chair next to Holly. 

"Hey Honey." She smiled widely. "This is Alexxis, Jessica brought him yesterday." She gestured toward me and his eyes followed. 

"Hello son." He smiled and took my hand in his. He slightly shook it but I was still hung up on his words...did he call every guy that walked through his door "son?" Why would I be so special?