Chapter 6: Psych Ward

Something's Up With the Grey Twins [Boy/Boy]: Chapter 6: Psych Ward

Alexxis' POV

               I sat in the waiting room while Alex was rolled behind the doors. I wanted to follow but between Jessica and two other doctors I was forced to stay where I was. While I was worried to the point of almost losing the little breakfast I had, Jessica was pissed. "What the hell did he do? Does he know how many appointments I had to cancel because of him?!" She screamed as she bit down on her sunglasses. 

"Shut the fuck up! You don't know anything about him so therefore, you have no right to question him!" I yelled back. "You have no idea what we have to go through on a regular basis and then having to put up with you and your 'I care a lot about you guys' attitude is just a lot of shit!" Everyone in the waiting room was staring at us and she knew it. She grabbed the lobe of my ear and dragged me outside, twisting her fingers as she let me go. I didn't allow myself to show the hurt, I didn't want to give her the satisfaction of knowing she had physically hurt me. 

"You are so fucken lucky you're not my kid because I'd slap the shit out of you right now! You think I'm a load of shit? Well, what are you?" She snuffed her nose at me, "If you are so great then why are you even in foster care - if you were so great, someone would've wanted you by now." She smiled smugly as if that was supposed to be a blow but I've been hearing that and similar variations of it my whole life. This kind of verbal abuse was nothing new to Alex and I. 

I crossed my arms over my chest, refusing to back down. "Oh boo hoo! Look at me, my name is Jessica and I became a Social Worker because I can't stand kinds and nor do I give a shit about the problems they go through!" I cried in my most girlish voice. Considering Alex's and my voices were deep, I think I did a fairly good job. 

Her face turned an odd shade of red and she bit so hard down on her glasses that they cracked. Then she smiled, a sort of possessed grin that spread half way across her face. "Alexxis, I am going to go back inside while you calm down. You may come back inside when you have composed yourself." With that, she walked back inside, not giving me a minute to respond. I run my hands through my hair, frustrated at the fact that I had not been with Alex to protect him. I was supposed to be there so shit like this never happened. Now, because of my irresponsibility, he's lying in a hospital bed with tubes shooting in and out of his body in an attempt to keep him alive! I threw myself against the wall, ignoring the pain that shot through my side. Jessica didn't understand what Alex and I was forced to go through: she grew up with her biological parent, living the lavish lifestyle, and got almost everything she wanted. Alex and I had only known our parents prior to six. 

               I poked my head through the doors, not wanting to confront Jessica at the moment. Once I saw her conversing with a few of the other couples I relaxed a bit and sat down at the end of the hall way. I hated when people spoke down to me but I couldn't really do anything to her without getting myself in trouble - if it was just me, I'd have no problems but I had Alex to think of. A little while later, the door opened and a small, chubby nurse walked out. In her hands she held a rather thin manila envelope, "Alex Gray." Jessica and I jumped up, both making our way over to her at the same time. Since Jessica had been closer to her, they were already talking by time I got there. "He's stable now but I'd highly suggest a better eye over him." She turned and walked back through the heavy door, leaving me wondering what in the hell she had said. 

I stared at Jessica; she merely fixed her lipstick and smiled. "Come on." 

"Come on what?! What about Alex?" I gestured back toward the door I had last seen my brother rolled through. 

She shrugged and walked through the sliding door that led to the parking lot. "He has to stay here for a couple of days. You can come see him tomorrow; until he gets out I guess you can stay where you guys are." She pulled her keys off the strap of her purse and unlocked the car.