Chapter 1: Lincoln High

Something's Up With the Grey Twins [Boy/Boy]: Chapter 1: Lincoln High

Alexxis' POV

               I woke to my brother screaming again, incoherently at first. "I'm sorry!" I jumped out of bed and was across the room in a couple of strides, holding him in my arms. 

"Alex, it's okay." I cooed in his ear. His hands griped my shirt so tight that his knuckles were turning a ghostly white. "Alex..." His cries turned to soft whimpers until he was completely quiet. I stayed there, knowing he would probably start again if I went back to my own bed. 

"Can't you get him to stay fucken quiet?!" John was standing in our doorway with an agitated look on his face. He was our current foster father except he, like many others, was just interested in the money he gained rather than our well being. How he even was certified as a foster parent was beyond me. 

"Sorry - it's not his fault he has shitty ass nightmares." I hiss, hating the fact that I had to answer to him. 

He grumbled something as he slammed our door. I rolled my eyes and settled deeper into the bed, Alex's arms wrapping tightly around my waist as he cuddled into my chest. I didn't mind and I even found comfort in my twins' embrace now and then but anyone else would consider our relationship to be blasphemy...so I was dating my older twin brother - sue me. 

               Alex and I walked through the halls of Lincoln High, attracting the eyes of everyone we passed. There weren't many guys that looked like us around here but we had German ancestry and evidently, that drove the girls crazy. Alex didn't much care for it and neither did I. 

"Alexxis, how long do you think we're going to stay this time?" He asked timidly, nibbling on the tip of his thumb. I intertwined our fingers to distract the bad habit. 

"I'm not sure; it's only temporary after all." I reminded, knowing how bad he wanted to just stay in one place for once. I gently kissed his lips as the bell rang, marking the start of first period. "I love you." 

He mumbled before walking down the adjoining hall. This is how every school morning went: he'd be nervous about going to his own class but he still managed to put on a brave face - sadly, I was able to see through it despite his effort. I watched him until he was swallowed by the crowd and made my own way to room 445 for English class. 

               "'To thine own self be true...' Can anyone tell me what this quote is trying to say?" My teacher asked as she walked through the isles of desks. "Mr. Grey?" She stopped right in front of me and I swallowed hard. I wasn't used to being the center of attention, I had built my life around being invisible - of course I didn't really go unnoticed when my brother and I were the only ones in the school that weren't conformists. 

"Oh, um..." My pencil fell from my hand, clamoring loudly against the table. The class erupted in hush laughter and I could feel my cheeks warming. I didn't know much about Shakespeare but I did understand the quote to a limited extent. "Do what makes you happy - don't live for just the people around you." 

She smiled and continued to walk. "Good job Mr. Grey."  

"Alexxis." The girl behind me whispered as she tapped my shoulder. I turned to see her holding out a folded note. I laughed as I took it. She smiled, her blonde hair slipping over her shoulder. 

'Some of my friends and I are going to the beach after school - you and Alex care to join?' It was scribbled in squiggly handwriting, obviously a girl's. 

'Whose car are we taking?' I quickly wrote back before the teacher caught the note. She informed to meet by the red car half an hour after the final bell and I agreed, knowing there was only one red car in our school's parking lot. Alex and I weren't very social but we tended to get along with the party group and going to the beach sounded better than hanging out at John's for the night; although, Alex will probably be scared shitless during the drive. It was one of the draw backs from the accident that left us orphaned when we were six.