Chapter 56

"So this is the famous Marian Parker High." Miranda says as she walks alongside Malcolm down the hallways of the lobby. Sevyn invited her and Manny to come watch the basketball game that starts in a half hour and she slipped away with Malcolm while Manny stayed with Sevyn and Talia.

"Yup, home of the bulldogs." Malcolm nods his head to the trophy cabinet where the trophies they've won are showcased along with the past basketball team pictures.

Miranda leans closer to one of the pictures, "Is that you?" She points.

"Ew, freshmen year." He laughs looking at the prepubescent him standing alongside his teammates for a group shot. "Thank you puberty."

"Same," Miranda says. "I was really pimple faced with braces."

"Aw man, you had it worst." Malcolm teases.

"Hey," she hits his arm playfully. "I've come a long way since then."

Malcolm looks her up and down, fully aware that her eyes are trained on him. He studies each curve of her body, her flawless skin and her long jet black hair, held in a fishtail braid. "You're ok." He says before limping off on his crutches.

"Ok!?" Miranda scoffs and follows him. "Just ok?"

"Yeah," Malcolm says in a plain tone. He nods at a passing classmate and keeps his eyes trained on the wall at the end of the hallway.

"Well you're not the best looking boy either. Personally I think Ty is cuter." She shrugs her shoulders.

Malcolm stops in his tracks and Miranda walks on a few feet before turning around to look at him. He places a hand over his heart, "That one hurt." He says dramatically, making his bottom lip quiver.

Miranda tries to keep a blank face but she giggles and walks back to him. "I'm just kidding."

"So you think I'm the cuter one." Malcolm says.

Miranda plays with the end of her braid, "Whatever floats your boat." She sings.

"Mhm," Malcolm hobbles on down the hallway with Miranda beside him. They're quiet for a few minutes before he speaks. "Well if it makes you feel any better, I think you're gorgeous. Jose was an idiot to break up with you." Out the corner of his eye, he sees Miranda's face drop a little and she looks down at her shoes. He now regrets ever bringing her ex up. "Sorry I shouldn't have sad anything."

"It's fine," Miranda insists. "Cuz you're right, Jose doesn't know what he's missing out in and I'm gonna prove that I'm better without him anyway."

"You go girl," Malcolm says in a sassy manner while rolling his neck. Turning the corner, Malcolm leans against the wall of the deserted hallway. "And this is the cafeteria." He gestures to the two steel doors on his left.

"Whoa, it's at least three times bigger than ours." Miranda tells him, looking through the window on the door. "Our school is so tiny compared to yours."

Malcolm's surprised to hear this. He's always thought MPH was so small. "Is your school building a box?"

"It might as well be." Miranda tells him. He nods and adjust the weight on his leg. "Is your leg ok, do you want to sit down for a little bit?" She asks, noticing the uncomfortable expression on his face.

"Yeah, it hurts sometimes when I'm standing too long." He hops over to one of the grey benches along the wall and sits down, resting his crutches on the wall beside him. Miranda looks at the posters on the walls and Malcolm takes the time to check her out. She wearing a dark green sweater with a black leather jacket, jeans and brown boots. She's small enough for him to just wrap his arms comfortably around her and if his leg wasn't hurting he probably would.