3.30 Who Else Knew?

Michael sat in bed, wrists, and ankles bound to the metal frame. He looked up under his lashes and then doubled back in shock, at the sight of her. His armor lay by the foot of the bed, but the heap lacked his weapons.

"Have they been treating you alright?" Aurelie asked.

He laughed out loud at her response and put a hand on his chest. Lines formed around his mouth, and she thought that he might possibly be the most attractive man in the kingdom. His white shirt hung on him like a hanger, his hair shone, and the room had a citrusy aroma. At least, they kept him clean, and by the looks of the uneaten plate of stew by his bedside table, attempted to keep him fed.

He shrugged uncomfortably and lifted his hand to show the restraints. "I didn't tell them anything—but," he frowned, looking to the side in thought, "truth be told, they really didn't ask much."

"Yes, that's because they had another here to tell them all they needed to know."

"Not one of my men," he said, resolute with his answer.

"No, one of my women." She smiled and closed the door behind her. The little wizard from Halbrook hovered outside the door, but she heard his footsteps about a minute later and came to sit down by Michael's bed.

"What deal did you make for our release?"

Aurelie tugged at the rope around his wrists. His skin was blistered and scabbed. "Did you even try to escape?" she asked, her lip twitching.

"Well, yes, but then I thought maybe you'd come to rescue us and I'd have a moment with you before you were a married woman, and being with you ended up with my head stuffed on display in your husband's chamber."

Aurelie set fire to her hand and forced the other through the rope so that Michael's skin avoided the flame. The rope turned black where the fire touched it, and the strands snapped bit by bit until his hands were free. He rubbed at them and looked at her dress.

"Don't suppose you dressed up for me?" He smirked.

Aurelie shook her head and moved to burn the rope binding his ankles. "I'm a married woman now, and a queen."

Michael's face went blank. "Married?"

Aurelie kept quiet for a moment, wondering whether he'd catch on to what she really intended to tell him.

His eyes widened for a second as the shock set in.

"Did you—"

The look she gave him stopped him from saying another word. "They attacked the castle while we were at the cathedral. He was late to attend because of a council meeting. I believe it concerned the location of King Lukas, Kaiden heard some of it, so we have the gist, but he had to leave to hand me over to the husband."

"How did they know he'd be up there?" Michael frowned.

Red rings had formed around his ankles, they looked far worse than his wrists. Aurelie rubbed at the skin absently and shrugged.

"I don't know if it's anything but a coincidence. Everyone expected the family to be in the cathedral. Unless, one of the council members was in on it and the catapults awaited the King's arrival—even then, I just don't see how anyone could have planned it. He should have been at the wedding."

"He was a good man, your father."

Aurelie swung her legs onto the bed and crossed them. "That's what everyone says of the dead."

"You seem strange," he observed, and reached to a little box of tobacco the witches had left for him, they must have sat with him while he smoked because there was nothing around him that could make a fire.