2.15 The Firefly Tree

Kirin sat below the firefly tree that he had promised to show her when the war was over. It must have been 2 a.m. when he dragged her out of bed and led her to the famous tree that stood near his mother's childhood home.

At that hour, Aurelie needed some convincing and Kirin's childlike excitement did just that.

Kirin was happy, content even, with what they had together but Aurelie kept revisiting her conversation with Karah and being reminded that she needed to take a step back. The opposite of what she was doing. She couldn't be in love without guilt. And here they were now, on a bench, in front of the landmark of Kirin's promise to her.

When he first spoke of this very tree, at the inn, there was a sense of achievement linked to it. As if it would be a reward for their victory. Their travels would be pure and clear of any evil, and the two of them would be happy, with their allies safe and settled somewhere in Highfire. That's how she imagined it.

Now . . . Everything was upside down. It wasn't their victory but the King's. They weren't close to being safe. On top of everything else, Aurelie was keeping a secret from Kirin. The ghostly chill of the portal pressed against her leg even though she had removed it from her coat pocket and hid it.

Kirin, in his unnaturally happy state of kissing and telling her how much he loved her, made her think that he accepted defeat. Although he said he did not want to run away when she had suggested it, they might as well have because going to see the fireflies, to Aurelie, was exactly that.

The thrill that they were meant to feel in that very place was missing. The fireflies looked just like bulbs of light until eventually one of them spread its transparent wings and dropped down a branch. They created a peaceful buzz above them and drew pretty golden patterns on the floor with the reflection of their light. Aurelie felt her hair disturbed as one braved the two of them and swooped down low to investigate the strangers that occupied the space below their home. It happened often enough for Aurelie to stop putting the strands of hair back into place. Their lights remained burned in her eyes even when she closed them.

According to the locals, their gigantic size was caused by the tree. It was from the Icelands and contained magic unknown to any of them. That was all, of course, pure speculation.

Aurelie sat beside Kirin and rested her head on his shoulder. Is this it? She couldn't help but wonder. Appreciation, Aurelie decided, required a certain mood—or rather not having to look over your shoulder for a potential assassin.

Though, oddly the feeling wasn't as strong as she thought it should be. When her father looked at her wound, back at the pond, there was a concern in his eyes. Aurelie's thoughts knotted with the idea. Perhaps, it was because her father had looked so much like Kaiden that she expected the concern to peek through his features, so much so, that she imagined it there. That must have been it. How else could the person that wanted to kill her, show such emotions when she was on the brink of giving him what he wanted?

They had to keep their voices low. There were darkened houses all around them. Not a single light shone in through the windows. She wasn't sure what the time was, but whoever they woke wouldn't be happy about it.

"We need to get you're a dress," Kirin whispered so quietly that she could barely hear him and wrapped his arm around her. "A pretty one with frills and lots of layers."

"For what?" she asked and saw Kirin's face instantly fall. "I'm sorry. Of course. The wedding. Of course." All she'd done the last couple of days was think of the ceremony and it was exactly that which made her stop doing so. After it, she'd have to turn the portal alone and leave him. A lot of things had been circling her mind.