2.9 There's Only Him

"Nicky, my boy!" Peter yelled from the kitchen and came out to greet him. "Watch out for this one, tonight." He rolled his eyes her way. "She's sensitive. I've told you, you need to take her outside from time to time. They need to walk around a bit to use up a little bit of that energy, these creatures."

Aurelie glanced from Peter to Nick, wide-eyed and on the verge of explosion. "These creatures?"

"Women," Peter said simply.

Nic laughed out loud and put a hand over his mouth to hide it as soon as he noticed the look Aurelie was giving him. "Now, Peter. We best settle down before the lady sets you on fire."

Peter patted Nick's shoulder. "Ag, she's harmless. I've seen an angry women first hand, boy, and she doesn't come close." Peter held a hand over his heart and gave Nick a knowing stare, which he returned.

Ha! If only he knew how harmless she was. Aurelie leaned against the wall and closed her eyes. Harmless!

"Come, Aurelie," he strafed past her, "we need to finish setting the table."

Aurelie ignored him and walked over to Nick. "What did that mean?"

"You'd have to ask—

Aurelie rolled her eyes. "Hey, Peter," she shouted, keeping her eyes on Nick. "What's with the hand on the heart?"

Peter came out with a pot of carved, roasted lamb. "Do you not know your history at all? You're in love with one after all."

"Well, I guess not. I don't know what gave that away, though. Perhaps it was the fact that I asked?" The two of them exchanged a long, narrowed eyed look. "Are you going to tell me? Or shall I force it out of Nick?"

"Not with that attitude." He placed the lamb on the table and ran back into the kitchen to fetch more food.

"Nick, please just tell me." She caught Nick staring at her as if she was some kind of painting. For a moment, it seemed like he didn't notice her, and then he shook himself awake.

"You're in love with him?" he asked so quietly that it almost came out as a whisper.

Aurelie opened her mouth. Her heart dropped somewhat. This is exactly what he had been avoiding. Deep down, she knew that feelings had developed but she chose to ignore it as long as she could. It felt as if she was falling. Guilt, shame, and concern swept over her all at once.

"I've never kept that a secret," she said, watching his expression falter even more. Had she kept it a secret? By now she assumed the whole world knew that Kirin was everything and that her heart was linked to his breath.

"Yes, but you've also never mentioned it."

"Haven't I?" Aurelie attempted to remember their every encounter as if that would change a single thing. Her cheeks grew hot.

"No."

"Well, if you must know." Peter came back in with a bowl of carrots in one hand, and beans in the other. "I was the first shadow walker ever made."

Aurelie was so startled by Nick's reaction that she let Peter's statement pass as if it had been the most common thing in the world. "Really?" she asked unconcernedly.

"Yes, all because Peter liked the ladies? Well, all but one, his wife." Nick said with a smile on his face. Everything about his demeanor changed within a second. It was as if their previous conversation was all a part of her imagination. He sat down and looked at the food.

"I loved my wife. Very much." He looked up at the ceiling as if he was waiting for a bolt to come down and strike him. "One more thing and we can begin. If Aurelie had helped—