2.20 The Icelands

Aurelie's head spun. She turned to the voice but found no one there. The wind was chilling and penetrated the thick fur of her coat. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath. The spinning worsened, and she toppled over. She landed on her back, in the snow, with her hands behind her and felt puddle form below each hand as the ice melted at her touch. Her fingers, up to the bone, ached. Never before had she been that cold. Surely, if she stayed in one place long enough she would freeze.

"Help her up!" said a woman. Where exactly she was, Aurelie couldn't tell as turning her head was rather difficult without becoming sick.

Hands gripped her from behind and lifted her until her feet dangled above the ground. A silver carriage stood to the right of her. Thick furred, white dogs sat and waited in front of the carriage in rows so long that they disappeared into the mist. Lastly, a woman wearing a giant, clear crystal crown, stood before her. The sharp edges resembled icicles. Whoever held Aurelie set her back down gently.

The queen bowed keeping her light blue eyes on Aurelie. A vibration traveled through her stomach as if to signal a premonition of sorts, telling her that there was no way out of fate's grip now.

Aurelie bowed her own head, careful not to let her crown fall. She could not get the queens eyes out of her mind. They were striking, but there was an emptiness to them that took away from their beauty and left them like the rest of her land; cold and lifeless.

"Good day," Aurelie said, unable to think of anything else. No one had given her the rules of proper etiquette in a royal presence. The whole situation was uncomfortable and she was still trying to rid herself of the confusion caused by the journey. It had not happened the previous time that she used the portal, but now even her eyes were struggling to see what happened around her.

"Princess Aurelie, we are humbled to have you visiting us," Alorah said. One side of her lips curved up and that was the only change in her ice-like expression.

Great, so titles are required. "Your Majesty, a pleasure." Aurelie bowed again, cringing at her words.

Aurelie turned to see who had picked her up and found a short man standing at her side. His white mustache ended in sharp edges, passing both his cheeks. He reached for her hand and leaned down to kiss it.

"Such a pleasure, indeed," he said before his hair tickled her hand, and his lips left moisture on it. "Gregor Hempson, your highness," he added, and let go of her hand.

Aurelie wondered how he was able to lift her. He was barely her height and had a belly that he'd struggled to reach around.

Two sets of footprints stood on either side of him, both of different sizes. The path they'd walked had mostly been covered with snow. She blinked a few times and tried to focus again. Nothing, not even a shadow was present. She lifted her hand to point, but Gregor caught her fingers mid-point and walked to the side to cover the trail.

"If you would please follow, Princess." His lips formed a smile, but his eyes were dead of any emotion. "Your fingers are turning blue. We shouldn't keep you in the cold for so long."

His quick reaction to her almost inquiry didn't sit well. However, the snow below her had completely melted, and her heels dug into the ground. Her toes had lost their feeling, and snow gathered on her lashes. She should have put on the stockings; two or three pairs, for that matter.

"Your Highness, please." He turned to his queen and held out a hand. She gave it one quick glance and turned back to the carriage. Alorah lifted her dress, and stepped inside, her heels clicking against the steel carriage.

Gregor rubbed his hands together, eyeing the queen as she took her seat, and held his hand out for Aurelie.

"Thank you," she said and pressed her weight into it as she walked up the carriage steps.