43. Say It!

The moonlight colored the plants in mystic shades of blue and silver. The view had captured Aurelie's attention when she walked past her window. The moon seemed closer that evening too. Resting her elbows on the windowsill, Aurelie leaned out of the window and inspected the garden. A lot of work had been put into it, not just magical work either. It was a shame to leave it behind. She bet more than a few people would be mad at her for this very reason. Aurelie sighed and leaned her head down, resting her forehead in the palms of her hands.

The branches of a nearby blueberry bush rustled and the leaves shook. Aurelie squatted down so that the top of her head was the only thing above the windowsill. It was dark, but the moon's light worked wonders for seeing shadows. She saw none and waited for more movement of which there was none.

There was a light breeze but it did not even disturb the thin tomato plants. Aurelie scooted over the side, and pressed her back against the wall, leaning sideways to take a better look. The last time she thought it was nothing she ended up burning half a town to capture that nothing.

The door swung open. She gasped. Daerious took a step back, his hand jumping to his sword. He was opposite the window, and the light from the inn illuminated his shape.

"What the hell!" he said, panting. "Never mind," he said and shook his head. "Listen, I'm sorry—" He walked across the room and came to stand beside her, looking sheepish, tired and determined at the same time. His demeanor reminded her of Kirin's. She had never compared the two before now but something in the way he stood there just brought Kirin to life in front of her eyes.

"Get out of the way," she whispered, gesturing for him to move to the side. "Come look here."

"What am I looking at?" he asked, standing right in front of the window and exposing himself completely to anyone who may be outside.

"Get down," she said and pulled him down by his cloak. "Look! That bush over there," she said, pointing her finger, barely sticking it out further than the window sill.

"I can't see anything with you holding me down," he replied.

Aurelie gripped the windowsill and pulled herself up, the top of her head peeking through the window. "Shoot it." There was no way that she was going to ignore what she had seen not after what happened the last time.

"Do you know how long it takes to craft these arrows?"

Aurelie sighed and pulled the bow over his head. "I'll help you carve your damn arrows, just shoot the bush," she ordered, again.

"There's about a thousand of them, you're going to have to be a bit—

"The blueberry bush, right across."

Daerious grunted and stood upright. His shoulders arched. He pulled back the string and squinted. Aurelie winced, he was too visible. She wished he'd taken her just a bit more seriously, but she wasn't going to pull him down while he handled his precious arrows. The arrow released, and slashed through the bush, crunching the leaves, and breaking the twigs.

A grunt sounded from behind the bush, and the leaves rustled as the target toppled over.

Aurelie shot up and stuck her head out. "I told you," she said. Her heart skipped. "Get the others. There must be more outside," she ordered.

There was no movement, either the man was alone and dead or he was pretending, and the others were waiting for something. Aurelie turned to make sure Daerious was out of the room, and no wondering eyes were watching. She pulled the window further up, and swung one leg over the side, then the other, and jumped. Her ankle landed on its side and sent a sharp hot pain down her foot. She groaned through clenched teeth and limped for cover.