2.24 Is This a Proposal?

The northern lights painted the sky in green and purple spirals. That had been the only color Aurelie had seen other than that of blood. She found, sadly, that her appreciation for it was little above disappointment. Though, that was her view of the whole world at the minute.

Aurelie sat on the window seat, with her knees raised up to her chest and her hands grasping her ever anxious head.

How could you? The exposure of Leila's lies was easier to deal with when they were laid out before her. Being inside her mind, alone, was another matter.

What could she really do now that she had time to think about it? Execute her? Treat her like they did the man they captured?

Aurelie laughed out loud—the eerie sound jumped off the walls—and shook her head. The only thing Aurelie would be able to bring past her heavy heart was an exile and even so, she wouldn't search the land making sure Leila had gone. One thing she feared above all else was forgiving her.

There it was again, another thing she'd have to hide from Kirin. Whatever doubt she had about his actions before, this was as good as written in stone, he would kill Leila for what she had done and he'd have to stand in line behind Orken, Daerious and Shaelyn who had lost both her parents that night.

Aurelie couldn't rid herself of the hollowness that had formed in her stomach. It was the feeling of emptiness amidst a high fall. She placed her hands on her stomach and released a heavy sigh.

There was a moment long ago when Aurelie and Leila sat beneath the moonlit garden of her uncle's cabin. Hidden from the world, Leila took her hand and said, "May everyone be against me but you. And that would be enough."

"What a strange thing to say," Aurelie had replied. She remembered thinking that Leila must have done something wrong. Everyone—in their lives—meant Leila's father and her aunt and uncle. Aurelie couldn't think of a single thing for which they would turn against her.

Leila curled her lips to the side. "We can lie to the world but never to each other."

"You've taken quite a grim turn. I've never lied to you before." Aurelie heard an accusation in the statement. She felt the need to declare it otherwise even though she had done nothing wrong.

"I'm just saying. We're not blood, Aurelie. So we have to bind our souls."

Aurelie had never given that moment much thought before. Although it was so strange and oddly timed that she could never forget it.

Consider us unbound.

The mob of maids had not yet come to run a bath or warm her bed. She didn't mind their absence but the hot baths had become the only salvation the Icelands offered her.

She didn't regret saving Leila. But her mind couldn't help traveling to find the exact instances that caused the deaths of so many people. Was it the blind, sisterly trust that was so undeserved yet unavoidable? Or was it her protection of Leila from Kirin's interrogations? The two were so terribly bound. Questions soared and eventually turned into blame. By the end of it, she could no longer stand the nauseating feeling of helplessness and went to lie on the bed.

Just as she was on the verge of sleep, but quite aware still, the door opened and Lukas peered in. Aurelie closed her eyes. There was no knock. It was his castle, so she didn't take it for anything other than a difference in culture.

"Are you asleep?" he asked.

Aurelie remained still, hoping that he would leave. Instead, he walked around the bed and sat at her feet. "Aurelie," he called.

"What is it?"

"Mother and I have spoken. She would like me to express our apologies."

Aurelie sat up. "What for?"