2.11 We Go To War

After a long struggle of convincing Peter that Aurelie and Kirin had by no means been related, he—still being rather reluctant to believe them—left to get groceries for the upset stomach that he was sure Kirin would have if he ate anything solid after being out of it for so long.

He seemed to think that Kirin was actually his father and that he was recovering after the first time he took the King—who was then a prince—in his portals. Kirin told Aurelie that they thought he would die the first time he did it. It made sense that that would be one of Peter's more vivid memories. No one wanted to see their child suffer.

Peter was still rather confused about the matter. For one, he though his son was Kirin's age, never mind that he had a son of his own. It didn't help that Aurelie apparently looked like one of his late wives.

She hoped he'd get better soon. Now that Kirin was awake, they had to start making plans to leave. They had already stayed much longer than would have been deemed safe. With the two of them gone, Peter would only have Nick to keep an eye on him and thought that had worked in the past, Alysia's last surprise left him without a proper head on his shoulders.

Aurelie sat beside Kirin on the couch, clutching onto his arm with both of her hands. She had been holding on for so long that the space between her hands and his arm was hot and sweaty. The above floated in and out of her mind. She worried a lot. More than she could handle but less than she ought to have while being in her position. She shared none of it with Kirin, naturally. He didn't need to worry about the logistics of their stay just yet. All the things he'd missed hovered on the tip of her tongue but he was not ready to hear any of it yet.

Looking at him hurt. Pleasantly, and heart-wrenchingly, at the same time. She stole a peek every few seconds. The light blue of his eyes made her catch her breath for a moment every time she did. Men were not often called beautiful, perhaps rugged and handsome. But Kirin was beautiful. And to Aurelie the most beautiful person she had ever seen.

Never had she thought this before, but he was the direct meaning of danger. She felt him in her very bones. So much so that having him so near physically hurt.

Kirin shut his eyes and lay back on his pillow. "Have I been asleep long?"

She sniffed and sat up a little to be able to cram into the tiny space between him and the couch. Aurelie forced one of her hands around his waist and squeezed her fingers tightly around his arm. "Too long," she said.

"Oeh." He huffed.

Aurelie released the pressure of her hold and lifted her hand off of him. He grabbed her hand mid-way and pressed it back down.

"No," he said. His dry lips stuck together at the ends as he spoke. "Don't let go. We're past letting go now, princess." He looked at her intensely. Whatever weakness he felt, it did not resonate in his eyes, not when he looked at her. There was a hunger in them instead. She felt raw and bare so close to him.

Aurelie's cheeks heated. There was an animalistic need inside her to hold him so tightly that they would somehow merge.

"I was so . . . scared," she said. "I thought you'd die and stupid Peter," the number of things she had to say to him ended up making her mumble them all out at once, "he didn't even tell me that you would be fine until yesterday! What a ridiculous man."

Kirin's laugh vibrated against her chest. She looked up and held the back of her hand to his cheek. And with that touch, it felt as if her chest swelled with joy. She was anxious to tell him exactly how she felt. So much time was wasted on petty fights and the two of them pushing each other away. "I love you so much it hurts."

His fingers interlaced with her hair. He pulled gently and sent goosebumps across her whole body. Aurelie closed her eyes, and leaned her head down to his shoulder, while he stroked her head. "Firstly, I love you. So much, that seeing you lying here made me transfer into some sort of limbo. It was as if I was dying right along with you, and walking around here, in this house, was someone else. I lost my ability to feel. And when I heard your voice, I woke up." Aurelie took a shaky breath. "I know that you didn't risk your life for me just because I'm supposed to be the key to winning the war." A twinge of doubt appeared between all the certainties. Maybe she was just his tool. "And if I'm wrong," she looked up and waited until his eyes met hers, "I'll make you love me because I need you to."