2.2 Never Been Better

Aurelie came to in a darkened room. Warm light shone through the window but was not nearly enough to reveal anything. She felt pressure on her chest and tried to shake whatever it was off herself before realizing that they were hands that held her around the waist. Breathing hurt and so did the movement. She gasped in pain and felt the hands stroke her back in

This was meant to create comfort but instead caused her more pain as each time the hand came up in the circle that it made, it moved the material of her dress closer to her wound.

"Kirin?" she said, remembering that he had used his portal. She shivered but she was not cold. Her teeth chattered and her tongue felt raw on both sides.

"No, I'm Peter."

Cold shivers ran down Aurelie's spine. She fought against the grip he had on her, pushing her arms out to relieve the tightness. He locked his arms tighter and swung side to side as more shivers took hold of her body, this time from her injuries and not the fright he had caused.

"He told me to comfort you. So that's what I'm doing."

"I think," Aurelie used more force to try and push him away but his arms remained locked just as tightly, "I'll feel more comfortable if you let go of me."

"For the mercy of the wretched gods, child," he called out dramatically. "You were dead just a minute ago."

"You need to rest. You've undone all the healing with your jumping," Peter said.

"The vial . . . did you see it?" Hoping that the vial had maybe gotten caught in her cloak, Aurelie clasped the strings around her neck, trying to loosen it. Her energy was depleted. Half way through untying the knot around her neck, Aurelie had to rest her tired arm. The strings were tied too tightly and there was no room to lift the cloak off her head.

"What vial? Aurelie, you were dreaming. Perhaps, that's where you saw it?" he answered, trying to calm her down.

"No, the Keeper gave me a vial," she said. Her mouth was dry. The back of her throat clung together when she spoke.

The room was gradually getting brighter. She could see the outlines of the furniture hiding in all corners of the room. There was a couch to the right and left of her, pressed against the wall.

"Did you say the Keeper?" Peter asked wide eyed and released his grip. "No, I'm not getting involved in that."

His hair was black, with gray patches near his temples, and his eyes had a purple glow around the rim. He looked young at first, Kaiden's age, but the deep lines around his eyes gave away his maturity.

Aurelie felt around for the vile, lifting her cloak and searching the ground with her eyes.

Aurelie gave him a sharp look and put a half-steady hand on his shoulder, lifting herself up. "By God, you'll help me, old man. I may not have much strength, but I'll burn this whole cabin down with you in it."

The man shook her hand off his shoulder and scrambled to his feet, shaking his head like a fearful toddler. "No, no! She'll know! She'll punish me." He picked up a book titled, Alysia, held it to his chest, and ran out of the room. "No. No. No."

"Wait!" she called out after him and grunted.

Books and tools were on chairs, tables, and the floor. Kirin lay in a pool of sweat, bleak and unconscious. A force was pulling her to his side, but Aurelie knew the vial was more important for now. She couldn't help Kirin if she died.

Aurelie shook out her cloak and looked in every pocket. There was nothing on the floor or the around the couches. She stood up to look between the pillows, and doubled up in pain, letting out a shallow screech. She heard the tear of her wound before she felt it. It was a wet sound and could have been mistaken for a loud smooch. Stars sparkled around her. She bent over, holding her breath, and sat down on the couch. Blood ran slowly down her stomach and seeped into her dress.