3.1 A Splash of Grey

The river near the castle had filled in the weeks following Kirin's disappearance. Though it had more to do with the shift in the weather, Aurelie linked the rain to her everlasting grief. The strong wind created a current and swept her long hair over her face.

Goosebumps rose on her skin. She was soaking wet. Exactly how she wanted it. As soon as the cold water touched her skin, she was transformed into that dark night when Kirin came through the water. She saw him every time she closed her eyes.

Thunder rumbled. Aurelie flinched and wrapped her arms around herself.

Two guards had been stationed near her at all times. They relaxed a little now that she was sitting. The King had someone watch her day and night. Two maids stayed in her room when she slept, dressed, ate, bathed and guards took over when she had finally found the strength to leave her chamber. Aurelie hadn't had a single moment to herself since her arrival. The King and Kaiden were afraid she'd leave and look for Kirin herself. She would if she had the resources but or the slightest idea of where to begin.

If he thought the two guards would even briefly halt her from leaving, her father wasn't a very smart man. The two behind her would be rolling in agony within a second if she willed it.

She'd reached a place within herself where nothing existed. It wasn't dark or light, but grey. Sounds surpassed her ears and food had no taste. Only the river managed to break through the cracks. It let her feel something.

The frame of her tiara—which she was forced to wear now—dug into her scalp. Of course, no one could force her to do anything if she didn't allow it but fighting about the damn tiara felt like a waste of energy.

There were twenty packed into little wooden boxes back in her bedroom. Yet, she had only unpacked and looked at one at the request of the King. Her younger self would have been beyond joyous with the collection.

The clips pushed into her scalp and made it itch with irritation. Aurelie yanked it off her head and threw it backward, giving the guards something to do.

There had been no rest for her hot, swollen eyes. She was afraid that if she let the grief pass, soon after she'd forget him. Not entirely, of course, that was not possible. But time chipped away at the little details that she desperately wanted to cling on to. The little lines that formed around his eyes when he smiled. The all-consuming need she felt for him. The crippling pain that came with every breath preserved him. A love caught in amber.

Where are you? she repeated in her head for the thousandth time that week. As the days passed, she became less hopeful of ever seeing him alive again. The best guards and spies were out looking for him, searching every corner of Highfire. Aurelie had yelled until her throat felt raw when they first had told her that. They couldn't find her for eighteen years. Now, every time the King assured her in the same way, she smiled and nodded, knowing that there wasn't a bloody thing he could do about the situation either.

The company of the guards made her uneasy. She couldn't properly wail with them only being steps away. Their eyes were burning a damn hole in her back. Not one of them had said a word since greeting her that morning. They were like breathing statues. On the second day of her stay, one of the guards tried to speak to her and she hadn't seen him since. Not by her request.

Everyone at the castle tiptoed around her. Kaiden and her father did not try to mend whatever had been broken between the three of them as of yet. Thankful for it, Aurelie did her best to keep out of their way too.

Mostly, she had been avoiding Kirin's father. Earlier that week, she had seen him and tried to find what he was doing to find out where Kirin was. The look he gave her... She couldn't quite rid herself of the chill that it left behind.