20. Burn the Body

Aurelie stayed in her room for the better part of the afternoon. When the girl who brought her breakfast returned with a rather hefty lunch, Aurelie asked her to call her when Kirin returned to the inn. He had gone back to the castle late last night as the King expected him at breakfast.

A knock sounded on the door about an hour after she had finished her lunch. A girl opened the door just a tad and peeked in.

"He's here," she said. "But he and Orken are in the meeting room."

"Where is that?"

"Downstairs," she cocked her head, "I can show you if you want."

Aurelie followed her out, keeping her head down to give the inhabitants of the inn a clear sign that she did not wish to be approached. After their reaction the previous evening, she was surprised that she found the will to leave her room at all.

The girl stopped on the bottom step and pointed to the right. There were three doors, one near the staircase that she said lead to the basement, one in the center of the two that led to the kitchen, and the one on the very right that led to the meeting room.

Aurelie thanked her and went outside to sit on the steps, waiting for Kirin to emerge. He had occupied her mind until she fell asleep. Mostly, his abilities as a shadow walker. Her aunt and uncle were still alive, hidden somewhere by the King. From the way his magic worked, she understood that he couldn't risk saving her uncle and dying himself—she'd never ask that of him in the first place—but he could, at the off chance of finding her aunt, save her.

When he and the old man, who had passed out on the grass during the festivities of the previous day, emerged from the meeting room, the sun had set. She sat at an angle on the stairs and watched the door, rolling a pebble under her big toe.

His eye caught her as he walked out behind the old man, the girl had called him Orken. Kirin tapped him on the back and started to walk toward her. As he reached the door, his eyes shifted to something behind her and he walked faster.

"I just wanted to know if you've heard anything about my aunt and uncle." Aurelie began but was finding it rather hard to capture his attention.

She was about to repeat herself as Kirin clasped his hand over her mouth. His other hand pointed at something. One of the residents walked out of the inn, as soon as he saw what Kirin was pointing at, he hurried back into the inn to warn the others.

A white tiger ran past the inn, it turned and looked straight at Aurelie. She went cold from her head to her toes, but something in the way the tiger looked at her, made her charge off the stairs. It looked to be pleading.

Aurelie had seen those eyes before, she was sure of it, on her journey through the woods, after she had left Neriss Pass.

A thickly set man followed the tiger, bow, and arrow in hand. The hunter released the arrow, and it flew over the tiger's head. He grabbed another, keeping his pace. This time the arrow split the tiger's fur as it flew past its head. The third managed to pierce the tiger. It leaped as the arrow struck its foot, and fell to the ground, wailing.

Its huge legs began to shift, growing human calves, thighs, and fingers. In a matter of seconds, a girl appeared on the ground, clasping her breasts in her hands. Her hair was so blonde that it shone silver in the pale moonlight. The hunter noticed the change too late and fired the fourth arrow as the girl hit the ground.

Aurelie's heart raced, she knew her. It was Leila.

"No," she yelled and leaped forward, jumping over the steps and running to help her. Kirin jumped after her, knocking her to the ground.