29. Everburning Rose

Aurelie braced herself for the water, her eyes shut, and her arms lifted in front of her face. The sand beneath her softened and turned to sheets. She opened her eyes, frowning. The Keeper's grounds were gone, and she was back in her bedroom, a ray of lights shining on the bed. Her dreams felt more real than ever before, even those that were not visits to the Keeper's library.

Kirin emerged from the door, his face in a scowl. "What were you doing?" The night before seemed forgotten, and he was now back to being his normal self.

"Sleeping," she replied and yawned. The sheets were covered in patches of salve and dead skin. She flipped the quilt; her legs were soft and silky. All traces of the previous afternoon were gone. The herb even fixed the gashes she had received from the bridge.

"I'm healed!"

"Wonderful observation."

Aurelie rolled her eyes and covered herself once again. "Aren't you supposed to be at the castle? I thought you don't come often," she said, expecting him to catch the hint. It was odd, when they were separated, all she could do was think of him, but when he approached her in one of his moods, she couldn't help but ignite with her own anger.

Kirin leaned against the door frame. "Well, if I could leave you alone for longer than an hour without you running off and destroying the world—possibly revealing us—I would have stayed away longer. Since you make it so difficult, I have decided to make my life harder by saving the world. Now come with me before I change my mind," he said and turned to leave.

"I wish you'd stay away longer."

Without turning, Kirin said, "I'm not here to grant your wishes, princess."

Aurelie flew out of bed and grabbed her cloak. You filthy toad! I didn't come here to be your . . . your—ugh!

People were emerging from their rooms. Some had not even bothered to change from their nightgowns as if sleepwalking to the kitchen. She pushed her way past them, her eyes soaring through the crowd and searching for Kirin. Her thoughts screamed insults and scolding speeches. He had gotten away with far too much.

Sasha and Daerious stood near the stairs, immersed in a deep conversation. Daerious's hands were flying all around him, and Sasha's crossed and her eyebrows in a deep crease. She lifted her hand to level with his mouth.

"I don't care how you get it. If you don't replace them, I'll turn you into a fish and throw you out into the pond. Until—

Daerious flipped his head backward. "What do you need, Hog—

Sasha's finger pointed at his face. "Until I think that you have learned your lesson."

"Morning," Aurelie said.

"G-Morning," Daerious echoed.

Sasha bowed her head. "Morning, dear." The scowl disappeared from her face, and warmness filled all her features.

Aurelie lowered her eyes, feeling suddenly embarrassed and ashamed. "Sasha, I'm really sorry about last night. I was out of control. It will not happen again. I assure you," she said to Sasha.

Sasha laid a hand on her shoulder. "I'm sure it won't," she said and smiled. "I know how frustrating it must be for you, knowing that you have all this power inside you but not being able to control it. You really should be careful, though. Have you ever heard about the Old King's roses?" she asked.

"No."

"Your grandfather was a powerful man. He had no interest in using his power to extend his kingdom. It was more of a fascination. He did many things, studied foreign magic, and searched for magical artifacts. He constantly tried to strengthen his own power and extend his knowledge, to see what he could do, where his fire would lead him, and what mad things he could accomplish," she said and turned to Daerious.