2.23 Have We Run Out of Fire?

Alorah greeted the two women whom the rebels approached first. A little shaken still, they bowed their heads and walked off down the hall. Guards, bloodied and beaten, escorted them. They were last to go since they sought a private word with the Queen.

"Eliza and Georgie Taboth," Lukas said, noticing the direction of her glance.

"Sisters?" Aurelie didn't much care. Her thoughts were elsewhere.

Healers had been called out. Every few minutes, Aurelie saw someone pass to the infirmary. She had no interest in visiting it herself. In fact, she convinced that after she left the table she would be using the portal to return home.

"In-laws."

"I see."

Lukas moved his chair closer, invading her space. Aurelie turned her head away and pretended to observe the room. Any closer and he'd be sitting atop her. "Both brothers are dead now, of course."

"Of course."

The memories of the wizards that approached her with the portal had mostly faded. It had been her desperation, perhaps, that formed expectations help in the form of soldiers from Alorah. She was no longer sure whether help was being offered at all. And if it had been, looking at how dire things were here, Aurelie wasn't sure that kingdom could spare even a single man never mind a whole army.

"It was quite a story here, really. They fell down the stairs, during an apparent row."

"The both of them?" Aurelie gave him the slightest bit of attention and regretted it as soon as she did.

He moved even closer. "Yes, strange indeed."

"What is?" Alorah sat back down and waved her finger at the guard.

"The Taboth deaths."

"Ugh." Alorah raised her fingers and shoulders in disgust. "They were horrible old men. It's a wonder they didn't take their wives with them. Did you see how frightened the poor women were? I doubt they're over the first incident and in comes another."

She shook her head in disapproval and turned to the guard who had taken his place on her left side. He was not inside the dining hall when the rebels attacked but the blade of his sword was stained.

"Find one of the servants and tell them to bring us some hot tea."

"Your Majesty, they're all down at the infirmary assisting the healers."

Alorah turned her head up to look at him and frowned. "Then you bring it!"

A fresh cut traced its way down his brow and onto his cheek. It's a wonder he didn't lose his eyes. The astonishment he showed toward the queen's request said quite clearly what he dared not and that was that he was a warrior, not a maid.

"Jonah, do we have a problem? Are you not skilled in pouring boiling water over some leaves? Have we run out of fire? If need be, bring your wife so she can teach you. But if you do not plan to return with tea, you can leave your uniform and coat with Mrs. Jimble and find your way out of this castle."

"Mother, surely we—

"Do you wish to fetch the tea then, Lukas?"

"No, Your Majesty," he answered slowly, avoiding the guard's eye, embarrassed by his own treatment.

Jonah bowed reluctantly and stepped away but not before throwing Lukas a look that was not returned. The whole exchange was uncomfortable to watch. Aurelie wanted nothing more than to leave the company. She was cold, wet and not in the slightest mood to witness the Queen's show of strength.