2.30 The Throne Room

Drops of water dripped down onto the wooden floor. Aurelie inhaled loudly, remembering to breathe. She wanted to move but couldn't tear her eyes away from the nothingness that they stared at. She sniffed and then shook her head. Alorah wouldn't have cried for her and so she wouldn't disrespect her memory by showing weakness either. It was damn hard.

The room was dark, and a hint of Nic's perfume lingered in the air. The duvet was pushed to the foot of the bed and the sheets were disturbed. Cheerful voices sounded outside, many of them. Night had come to Highfire and it sounded like they were celebrating, yet again.

Aurelie stood still for a moment longer, taking in the laughter coming from outside. This was a different world. Standing in Karah's bedroom felt surreal.

Footsteps approached, soft and light. Karah came into the room. Aurelie could barely see her. Her light nightgown was the only thing that stood out in the dark.

She gasped. "Oh dear God!" she said, regaining her breath. "Your Highness, you look like you've seen a ghost, which is ironically exactly how I feel."

"The Queen is dead."

Aurelie saw the whites of her eyes widen. "Long live the King," Karah said after a minute of silence.

"He won't," Aurelie replied. She felt hot suddenly. The room was stuffy but it took a while for her to notice.

Aurelie walked toward the light coming from the hallway. She had a sudden urge to see Kirin.

"I was only kidding," Karah shouted after her.

The shop was dark when she entered it. It smelled of staleness and herbs. People walked past the windows, hand in hand, almost hopping from sheer joy. Lights flickered near the park square that was partly visible from the shop.

Cold air hit Aurelie as soon as she opened the door. She thought of nothing but Kirin as she left the shop. Shoulders bumped into her, but she didn't stop to apologize to look who it had been, she had been counting the steps until she saw him.

She turned corners and crossed streets, hardly noticing anything around her. When she stood in the warm light coming from the window of Peter's house, she lost all the courage to go inside.

What the hell was she going to tell them?

The wind blew her hair over her eyes, she turned slightly to wipe them away and caught sight of the most beautiful blue eyes in the world. He stood, flustered, gaping at her from across the street.

"I missed you," she shouted over the joyful chatter coming from the crowd. There were less of them here than closer to the square but still enough create a hell of a lot of noise.

"I love you," he replied.

Aurelie looked to her left to make sure that the way was clear and took a step. When she looked back to where Kirin was standing, she was met with the backs of five darkly clad figures. Running toward the group, she searched for him among the passing faces, knowing she wouldn't find him there.

"Kirin!" she shouted. "Kirin!"

"Aurel-" she heard his voice call out, panicked and muffled.

A small flame ignited below the sole of their shoes, Aurelie made the fire spread along their clothes. They didn't move.

People screamed. A man ran up, taking off his coat, and started to beat their backs with it. Horrified, he looked at Aurelie.

"Help!" he said before noticing the fire in her eyes. Stepping back, he pointed his finger at her. "Dear God!"