Chapter 55

The sound of joyous laughing confuses Sevyn as she walks into Corey's new hospital room the next morning. They changed his location from the comatose floor and onto a floor dealing with inuries. Her brothers, Shaun and Monica came along with her to see him for the first time since he woke up yesterday. When she peels back the curtain, she finds a little girl sitting beside Corey swiping her fingers across a tablet screen. A woman is sitting in the corner of the room reading a magazine.

Corey looks up and smiles, "Hey guys,"

They slowly walk into the room, aware of the other two pairs of eyes on them. "Hi," Ty says slowly glancing between the little girl and the woman.

"This is my mom and little sister, Ariana." He introduces. Ariana beams and his mom lifts her head, looking over the unfamiliar faces. "These are my friends, Sevyn, Ty, Malcolm, Shaun and Monica."

"Nice to meet you all." His mother says, closing her magazine. She stands up and they all stare at her, marveling at how much Corey resembles her. Even the amber eyes are the same. Sevyn never saw a photograph of Corey's mother but there is no denying this is her.

"And I'm Ariana!" His little sister exclaims, throwing her hands in the air. Her eyes bounce from person to person, taking in these new people.

"Hello," Sevyn answers for all of them. Ariana cheeses even wider and bounces in her seat.

Corey's mom sets the magazine down on the chair. "Um, let's take a walk to the gift shop Ari. I'm sure Corey wants to have a moment with his friends." She says holding out her hands to Ariana. She climbs down from the bed and takes her mothers hand.

"I never get to be in all the fun." She pouts, walking towards the door. His mother slides the curtain back and they listen to the door open and close.

Once she's gone, Sevyn runs over to Corey and wraps her arms around him in a warm hug. He smile and squeezes her as much as he can without hurting him self. He winces a little bit, "Broken ribs Sev."

"Oh shit, I'm sorry!" She blurts, jerking back and releasing her grip on him. She looks over his face that's slowly healing. "I'm so happy you're up."

Shaun adds on sits down in the chair that previously held Corey's mom. "You scared the hell out of us when we found out you were in a coma."

"Sevyn had a panic attack and almost passed out." Ty comments, causing Sevyn to blush from the memory.

Corey smiles, "I'm glad yall care so much. I never dreamed something like this would happen."

"What exactly happened anyway?" Malcolm asks, crossing his arms and leaning against the wall. "And don't even try to sugar coat it because we know your dad did this."

"Who told you?" Corey snaps, surprise sparking in his eyes.

"The hospital, our mom acted as your guardian while you were in a coma since they couldnt get a hold of your mom or dad. They called her yesterday at work, that's how we knew you woke up." Malcolm explains, watching Corey avert his eyes and look at the sheets.

Sevyn tilts her head to the side and gazes at him. "We're your friends Corey. Tell us the truth."

After a moment of just sitting there, Corey finally looks around at all his friends faces and feels hisself physically giving into their intense staring. "Alright fine," He leans his head back and closes his eyes to begin his tale. "The beatings started soon after my mom left. He took up drinking and just started getting violent towards me. I was convinced he hated me, he beat me and left me to fend for myself. I was practically raising myself by age eleven." His friends stare at him with furrowed browns and sympathetic eyes. He keeps his eyes shut though, not wanting to see the looks on their faces. He already knows his story sounds pitiful and depressing, and he already knows what they're going to say to him when he's done. This is the first time he's ever told anyone his story, besides Rachel. It feels good to talk about it, but his face is hot from embarrassment. He doesn't wish this on anyone, but why did he have to go through all this. Why couldn't he just live a normal life.