Unfair

We went to a soul food restaurant for dinner.
"This that food that heals the soul." Blu said as she bit into her baked Mac and Cheese.
Eleni laughed "I never heard that one."
"Girl, it's true that's why they call it soul food." Imani said.
Now everyone laughed.
"So why do people call you Blu?" Laurent asked.
"It's my favorite color. When I was younger everything I had was blue plus I use to imitate Billy Holiday and Etta James. So I guess the name just stuck with me."
"Oh cool."
We talked over dinner for hours. I almost forgot the gift I bought for Imani.
"Here this is for you" I said smiling.
Her eyes lit up. "Thank you so much."
"No problem" I said hugging her.
Blu smiled and it lit up the whole room. " That was really sweet of you."
I pulled out the dozen of white roses for her "these are for you." She pulled one from the group and smelled it. She handed the rest to Eleni. We all looked on in amazement. I really wanted some alone time with Blu but didn't want to be rude.
"Go ahead us got Imani" Laurent said.
We walked out of the restaurant hand in hand.
"So what do we call us?"  I asked.
"Do we need a title?" She responded
"I guess not." I said.
"Good just let it be whatever it's going to be." She said as we continued to walk.
We sat down near a fountain it was kinda romantic the perfect place for a first kiss. She must of felt the same thing because I was mid sentence when she planted one on me.  Her tongue caressing mines sent a shiver down my spine. When we pulled back all I could say was "damn."
We head back towards the restaurant where  we had left the other three.
"So Kehlani is he your boyfriend now." Imani teased.
Blu blushed.
"We are what we are." She answered.
We all headed towards Blu car. She dropped us off at our hotel. She planted another kiss on me just for emphasis.
"Bye guys" Imani shouted from the car.
She pulled off and head home.
I went to my room and took a shower.
I laid on my bed gazing at the ceiling until sleep claimed me. I was awakened by my phone going off it was Blu she sounded like she was crying.
"Larry I need you." She said between sniffles.
"I on my way." I said as I got dressed.
"No I'm on my way to you." She said.
I waited in the lobby for her to arrive. When her car pulled up her and Imani got out. Imani looked half asleep. I picked her up and carried her to my room.
Blu sat down on the side of the bed her head in her hands.
"Do you want talk about it."
"How could she after six long fucking years." She said as she continued to sob.
"Amour I trying to understand please tell me what exactly happen."
"Okay." She said wiping her eyes.
"Six years ago my mother just took off. She didn't give no reason didn't leave us anything she just..." Her voice trailed off as she begin to cry again.
" Tonight I find her standing at my door step telling me that she wants custody of Imani."
I wrapped my arms around her.
"I can't lose her Larry she's all I got." She sobbed uncontrollably.
The hurt in her eyes destroyed me. It seemed like life was always around the corner ready to kick her ass.
I kissed her forehead and tried to convince her everything was going to be alright but for the moment she was inconsolable. She cried herself to sleep that night finally passing out beside Imani. I laid beside her running my fingers through her hair. It just wasn't fair that just when she found her smile someone was there to snatch it off her face. I stayed up all night trying to come up with a way to help her. The sun was rising when sleep claimed me. About 10:30 AM that morning there was a knock on the room door. I quickly went to answer it stepping into the hall.
"Blu and Imani in there sleeping." I said.
"Are they okay?"
"Is long story right now I just need for be there for her."
"Let me know if there's anything I can do"
"Okay" I said as I reentered my room."
I sat in the chair and watched them sleep and made a vow to myself to give them a better life.