Recapture - 23

"STEVE! TONY! STEVE!"

Steve and Tony looked up from what they were doing, startled. Bruce was coming on the run, tripping over stuff in his rush. Steve caught him from sprawling flat on his face right in front of them. He tipped the doctor back to his feet. Banner's face was flushed and his glasses slipped.

"I found it!" he cried, grabbing Steve's arm. "I found the TT!" The noonday sun beat down hot upon the team, but all worries were forgotten with those words.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." Tony stepped closer. "You found the TT?" 

"Yea." Bruce nodded worriedly, pushing his glasses back up. 

Tony slapped him on the back. "Good job, man! We can really get to work now! If we can just get our hands on those materials they can't build their weapon. We- what's the matter?" 

Bruce didn't look pleased to have found the Tanzenite-Taafian. He looked downright miserable. "I got bad news too..." He mumbled. "HYDRA's located it too, and they're on their way."

"So? We beat them to it." Steve was unconcerned.

"Yea, but you don't understand..." Bruce faltered, "Remember Eloyse's ring, the one she liked so much, that reminded her of her brother? Well...the Tanzanite is that beautiful blue stone on the top, and the surrounding gems are Taafiate. Grind them up, mix them with the Colver solution, and they have what they need."

Steve blinked. "How do you know-oh nevermind! That means we have to reach Eloyse before they do!" He paled at the realization. "They'll take the ring, and they'll take her too! She left almost twenty-four hours ago. Let's move!"

                                                        ***********************************

At the same time the world-saving Avengers team was falling apart in a disorganized panic, the subject of their worry was riding through the woods, blissfully oblivious to her danger. 

She had just finished running her horse, for the sorrel was full of energy and in tip-top condition. She suddenly reined in, thinking she heard somebody talking. The silence of the woods around her was the only thing she heard. Cautiously, she started the sorrel walking again. Her keen eye caught a glimpse of movement among the trees. She didn't acknowledge it, simply riding on without looking around. Whatever it was, was following her; tracking a distance off the near side, keeping with her as she guided the sorrel through the trees. She heard a muffled snort, and there was something startling familiar in the noise. She stiffened. Reaching out, she felt for a presence, and was rewarded by a feeling of fear and... blankness. She tuned in to listen for hoof beats, and was rewarded by the soft, muffled thump of a horse walking. It sure paid off to play blindfold games with Shyden in the forest.

She listened to the rhythmic step until she was sure. Then she halted the sorrel, put her hand on her bow for quick use, and whistled. For an unbearable moment there was complete silence, not even the forest animals made noise, scared by the whistle.

Then she got her response. There was a wild noise from her follower, followed by a frightened screech and pounding of hooves. Damian came tearing through the trees, nearly running into the sorrel in his haste. He stopped dead upon seeing Eloyse, and nickered softly. He stood still, ten feet away, suddenly regaining his caution. A white-tail deer bounded through the trees after Damian. It paused and studied the rider, horse, and Damian. Suddenly it shape-shifted, morphing into a human. A white human, with scraggly white hair and pale eyes.

"Eloyse?"

Eloyse nodded. "Kanzia?"

The older girl got a big grin and stepped forward. "How'd you get him to come running like that?"