Brother Wolf - 17

**Thanks to Bluehorses555 for the inspiration! It was mentioned that Shyden's eyes looked like a wolf, and so I created this!**

"TEST SUBJECT NINE!" a voice ordered. Shyden staggered to his feet, barely able to walk. Eloyse watched him all the way to the cell door, her heart broken. In two days, their cell had gone from five people to only three. The injured man had never returned from the first day of testing, and the young boy had not come back the second evening.

Testing. What a horrible word. Human experiments.

Shyden was only alive because each evening Eloyse found enough energy to heal him, inside and out.

It had started the morning Eloyse had first seen the snowy-white room, been restrained on that white table. Needles, drinks, pills. People, poking and jabbing her all day. Asking her questions until her head ached. Poking her more.

They were searching for something, she had gathered. Something super-human. Different, powerful. Eloyse had been faring badly against their medicine; she was immune to some, and was nearly killed by others. And she could do nothing.

She trembled as another Hydra man stalked into the cell and looked at her. "Test subjects 10 and 11. Follow me."

Eloyse got her feet under her and pushed up. She lent a hand to the woman. She was barely able to stand, but managed to get up there through sheer will power. The man grabbed her arm and pulled her away. Eloyse dragged her feet after another guard, back to the same room. Oh how she hated this place!

Pain, like she'd never felt before. Crying until she couldn't cry anymore, met with cruel laughs. Interrogations, drilling her with questions that had no answers. At least, none that she knew. She couldn't remember how many times they asked how she felt, if she felt any different. How many times they'd scared her, to see what she'd do.

Eloyse eased onto the table, every movement filled with the utmost reluctance. One of the men growled for her to hurry. She laid still, eyes open, staring blankly at the wall, waiting for the day to come to an end. Waiting to be left with Shyden, to nurse her pain and wounds alone.

********************************************

That evening the woman was not at the cell. Shyden and Eloyse waited in vain, until Eloyse sadly shook her head, finalizing her disappearance. Shyden scooted even closer to her, and Eloyse rubbed his back. Even without her healing him, he was standing up surprisingly well under the strain.

"Eloyse?" his sleepy voice drew Eloyse back to the problem at hand. With effort, she half-concentrated on her little brother, enough to hear him. Her mind was still elsewhere as she absently replied,

"Yea?"

"They want me to turn into a wolf."

Now it took no effort to stare at him, her attention fully on him. "What?"

"They want me to turn into a wolf."

Eloyse returned to staring at the wall, her thoughts working furiously now. "Can you?"

"Yea." he looked up at her, his eyes glinting. "But I don't want to because they have cameras and they'll see I can do it."

Eloyse smiled at her brother's wisdom. "Well, at least you gained something in all this miserable testing." He sadly nodded, shivering at the thought. Eloyse hugged him closer.

They had to escape. She had to take Shyden and get away from here before they died like the others.

And escape they did.