The Ring - 3

MERENA KALENI paused in her setting the table. "Shyden, where's Eloyse?"

Shyden Kaleni, lost in a blanket playing with something, looked up. His blue eyes shone in the darkness of the blanket like a wolf. "I don't know." he returned to occupation, mainly toying with a small trinket in his hands.

"Shyden." Merena spoke in a low tone of exasperation, and Shyden sheepishly glanced at his mother. He knew that her question, coming at a time when supper was ready, meant that he was needed to go fetch his sister.

"She might have gone outside." he ventured, but when Merena continued to stare at him, he reluctantly got to his feet.

"Take your light with you." Merena instructed, turning back to the small table. Shyden snatched up the little ball of light he'd had under the blanket, and ran outside, grabbing his coat as he breezed past the hook. In his other hand he clutched the trinket he'd been playing with. Ignoring the soft rain and wind, he shrugged into his coat and headed for the stables, dropping the light in the nearest weak sunbeam. Eloyse was usually easy to find, unless she had gone riding. He frowned at the thought. She'd promised to take him riding next time she went! She'd even said that he could ride Kennick! He started running, but slowed before opening the door. He didn't want to startle any of the horses.

"Eloyse?" he called. There was no answer, and he scowled darkly at the nearest horse, who nickered back. Eloyse was fifteen, and who ever heard of a fifteen year old vanishing when it was time to eat? Shyden's dark face suddenly brightened in his normal cheerful grin as he decided it was nothing to worry at. He went along the row of stalls, peeking into each one by standing on tip-toe.

The barn held fifteen odd horses, some of the best horseflesh that could be found anywhere. Taller than Arabians, all but two stood over sixteen hands, yet had the delicately dished face of the Arabian. They could run like the wind, had natural stamina and endurance to carry them all day, and could jump like the deer. They were all solid colored, with the exception of the two smaller horses. All the horses in Hopea were solid colored. When Eloyse had brought home Kennick and Damian, people had thought she had painted the horses, and because of their size, they were passed off as yearlings. Yet Eloyse had called them Mustangs, from the Earth, and showed them off to be able to complete with the best horses in any stable. They were a full four inches smaller than the smallest horse anywhere in Hopea, yet had more fire and spirit than any two other horses. Kennick had settled down to being gentle, but Damian could still only be handled by Eloyse.

Shyden walked passed the stalls, seeing the glossy coats and thick manes and tails. Bay, sorrel, gray, palomino, dun, grullo, black, white. They were all here, and all in tip-top condition.

Kennick was in her stall at the end of the barn, and she nibbled on the boy's blond hair.

"Kennick!" he squealed, ducking away from the mare. Then curious about Eloyse's special horse, he wandered away from Kennick and over to Damian's stall. The black and white stallion flared his nostrils and backed away from Shyden. The boy put his hand over the stall door, talking softly.

"Shyden!" a voice spoke in surprise. "What are you doing?"

Shyden wheeled around to see Eloyse standing outlined in the doorway at the other end of the barn, Aleska's reins in her hands. The golden palomino leaned forward toward Shyden, instinctively knowing that the eleven-year old understood animals to a degree few people had. Eloyse's clothes were dirty, and her coat ripped on the shoulder. Behind Eloyse, somebody shuffled their feet and complained aloud.

"Eloyse! Keep going! It's cold out here!"

Eloyse moved inside, leading her horse. Behind her came Trevilion "Trevy" Mathers, leading the blue grullo she'd borrowed. Eloyse frowned at Shyden, "I know you're a Vivita, but that doesn't mean Damian will accept you. He's different."