Before - 1

"Hey!" the voice cut through the forest's silence like a blow. Eloyse flinched involuntarily, feeling her horse shying under her. She looked where the voice had come from. A man stood there, staring at her.

"I want to talk to you."

"What?" Eloyse was unimpressed. She walked her horse closer. A quick glance told her that her bow and arrows were within easy reach. She had taken off the quiver since she'd been riding alone so long. The man looked around carefully, and motioned her closer. Eloyse didn't budge. She may be higher than the man, but she wasn't going closer than the few feet she was.

The man looked around hastily to ensure privacy, then leaned forward as if to whisper something. Suddenly he grabbed her leg and jerked. The frightened horse violently lept aside, and Eloyse went down. She jerked free, however, and landed on her feet. The stranger reached for her with the intent to kill.

Eloyse whirled, kicking out with her left foot. She connected solidly with flesh, and heard a grunt as the man was thrown back. He struck rocks and was still, blood pouring from a wound in his head.

"Weak." Eloyse muttered under her breath before a sixth sense warned her. She did an about face to meet another attack from behind. "Great! There's more!" unamused, she eyed the new stranger standing several feet away. Suddenly he moved.

As the teenage boy lunged toward her, she inwardly groaned. She threw up a hasty block over her head, seeing the glint too late. Pain flashed through her arm as the metal nicked her skin. She lost her concentration. She felt the boy bearing down on her. She weakly tried to fend him off, not doing very well. He knew his business. Eloyse suddenly changed from defense to offense. He was driving downward with his knife. Eloyse brought her good hand up behind him in a short, choppy motion. The edge of her hand struck his elbow, right on the nerve. Numbed, he dropped the knife, but continued the attack. She swiped aside a punch and grabbed the boy's arm, throwing him over her shoulder with a flying mare. He tucked and rolled, coming up ready for more. Eloyse could feel blood trickling down her ripped shirtsleeve. The cut wasn't bad. She ducked away as he brought out another knife.

"Why go to all this trouble for me?" she panted, eying him. "I'm just a girl, after all."

The boy rolled his eyes, "Riight." he accepted the breather Eloyse offered. They both gulped in air, watching each other warily, ready for treachery. "You might have been just a girl, but now I'd say you're a Lo-Hem. Also, our Sultan calls for you."

"Right." Eloyse smiled faintly. "I'm also in training to be a Kulpan La-Inyen."

The boy's eyes widened. "I'm beating a Inyen?" he was thrilled.

"No." Eloyse sprang. She knocked him over, and they went rolling together down the small hill. Eloyse poured everything she had into keeping the knife away from her, and subduing the boy without killing him. Suddenly he was rearing over her, his legs straddling her chest. She jerked her knees up hard, and he tipped over her head. She rolled over and swiftly gained her feet, and just in time. He was quick, and was also on his feet. He started for her, then abruptly stopped.

"I don't have to kill you." he chuckled. "You'll kill yourself with the moves you're throwing!"

Eloyse didn't reply. She was about ten feet away from the boy, her eyes on his. She saw his eyes flicker, and what he was doing struck her like a physical blow. She spun around so quick she lost her balance. A girl stood behind her, her stick raised to attack. Her strike just missed Eloyse's twisting shoulder. She lunged after Eloyse, not giving her time to recover either balance or concentration.

Eloyse was hard put to defend herself. She didn't have a quarterstaff, and had to just avoid as many blows as she could, and take the others in safe places. The stick whirled over her head as she dropped to one knee. She knew it would be a deadly mistake to turn and run, although she badly wished she could. The crack of the stick on her forearm caused her to wince. She ducked, going under the stick and tackling the girl to the ground. If only she could get that quarterstaff!