Visions - 4

**Thank you @AussieGirly! I love your name! I just saw you were reading. Thank you, I hope you enjoy the book. :) Annie**

A courier with a letter arrived at their door, telling Shyden's name had been drawn. He was gone the next day. It had been too fast.

Eloyse stomped through the muck toward the barn. She was mad. Very, very mad. Somehow, she felt that it was her fault Shyden's name had been drawn. She was older! For goodness sakes, he'd only become eligible last month! She'd had her name for over nine months in the drawings. He had packed up and left with the courier that morning, several hours ago. Already he felt like he was dead.

Eloyse stopped beside Damian's stall, reaching over the half-door to stroke the stallion. She suddenly threw the stall door open and slipped inside. Damian stood still, confused, as his young owner leaned against his black and white neck, crying softly. She didn't want Merena or Colsen to know how much she had felt her brother's departure. But she didn't mind letting her horse know! Damian turned his head and gently nuzzled Eloyse.

It's ok, He seemed to say. Eloyse raised her tear-streaked face to look into his soft eyes. One brown, one blue. He nickered, touching her again. Then he pushed his nose harder, and Eloyse gave a little gasp of pain. She gently pushed his nose away and rubbed her sore ribs.

"Eloyse?" a voice called. A very familiar voice. Trevellion Mathers's bold footsteps came down the barn isle. Eloyse hastily wiped away her tears and tried to not look like she'd been crying.

"Down here, Trevy." she reluctantly called back. Evidently, her quiet time was over, for the better or worse. Trevllion came in view. She halted upon seeing Eloyse in Damian's stall. She may have had a daredevil attitude, but she knew better than try her luck with the stallion.

"Your mom told me what happened." her eyes were sympathetic. "Do you want to talk?"

"No." Eloyse sniffed, almost breaking down again. She turned away from Trev, leaning into Damian again. Trev took a step forward, and then back again when Damian pinned his ears with an uneasy look. "I'm sorry." Eloyse spoke nearly too quiet to hear. "I just want alone right now."

Trev nodded, then realized Eloyse wasn't looking at her. "I understand." she left, trailing her hand along the row of horse noses that poked out in hopes for a treat. She met her younger sister Amberly at the door. Automatically, she answered the unasked question in her sister's eyes.

"She'll be fine. She's just a bit shook up. Understandable. I would be if you or one of the boys went to war."

Amberly nodded. She was a sensitive girl, and fully felt Eloyse's pain. Also, she and Shyden had grown up together and spent hours playing with each other. She accepted the hug from Trev, and they both stood there, the older sister's chin resting on the blond head of her sibling.

"It's not like he's dead." Amberly said shakily. Trev nodded as Amberly burst, "But more and more people aren't coming back! So he's practically good as dead!"

Trevillion pushed back and lifted Amberly's chin with her finger. "Don't say that. We've just got to trust he'll come back. Trust." she took Amberly back into a hug. "Trust." she whispered to herself, staring off at the trees.

************************************************************************************

Two months later found Eloyse again in Damian's stall. Only this time she wasn't grieving, she was worrying as she brushed the black and white stallion.

"No letters." she grumbled. "Why can't they let the soldiers send letters? I mean, it's not like it'll fall into enemy hands and tell valuable secrets." she paused brushing and frowned, "Or would it? Oh, nevermind!" She began brushing again, harder than necessary. Damian nipped toward her, and got gentle again, muttering, "Sorry, boy." She put the brush on his back, and buried her face in his thick mane. One hand twined in his coarse mane, the other slipped into her coat pocket. She was startled to feel a small, hard object.

"What...?" she pulled it out. It was the ring Shyden had given her. She blinked in surprise. She'd forgotten she'd had the ring. She had not worn the coat since the day before he left, as it had been ripped, and she had been putting off its mending. She examined the ring anew, then slipped it on her finger. "Pretty." her voice, although soft, sounded loud in the silence of the barn. She picked up the brush again, working methodically over the horse. He groaned in delight, relaxing into the bristles.

Eloyse finished and headed for the tack room to put away the brush. I wish I could see how Shyden is... maybe see when he'll come home.... she wistfully thought. An image suddenly flashed across her vision, and she jerked to a stop. The picture, although gone, still burned in her mind.

Shyden.

He was in a field, a field that was full of bodies. He was lying still, so still. Bloodstains were over him. His ruffed blond hair had a crimson stain. His eyes shut, his mouth slightly open. One arm was outflung toward the edge of the field, as if he had been heading toward there.

It was like the flash she'd gotten the day she'd blown up the Stone House. Then that battlefield was going to happen! Eloyse gave a little cry, dropping the brush. Somehow, she knew Shyden was alive, but from the looks he wouldn't be for long. She didn't move, her thoughts racing.

So he would be badly injured. Then she had to go, help him. She automatically picked up the brush and tossed it in the tack box. Moving slowly, she headed for the barn door and stopped right outside. A new thought entered her mind. Her parents would never let her go! Not after losing Shyden! She glanced at the sky. Last night had been almost full moon. Tonight would be completely full. She walked slowly toward the house. She didn't even notice the constant drizzle of rain.