July 22nd 2014

The first time I confronted a Walker was coming home from school. I have to cut through an ally way to get to my house. I was walking down the ally talking to my phone to my Aunt, wishing her a happy birthday, when what I though was a homeless man jumped out at me. I screamed and began to walk a bit faster, but he was persistent. I thought he might've wanted money so I stopped and grabbed my wallet out.

"This what you want?" I ask pulling out a $20 note and threw it at him. I knew I was in danger when he didn't even look at the money. He kept his eyes on me. I started to walk backwards, away from him. I had a long way until the end of the ally. "Leave me alone." I say. He made a weird sound, like he was having an asthma attack. His breathing was whispy and deep. I turn my back on him and start to run, trying not to trip on anything. I don't dare turn around to see how close he was, just incase he was right there. I could still hear his feet dragging along the floor, and his heavy breathing. "I have to get out." I whispered to myself, pleading my legs to run faster. I try to regulate my breath as I start to finish the ally. "Leave me alone!" I yell. I finally reach the end and allow myself to breathe because I have reached open street, with witnesses. I can only stop for a few seconds because he is still on my case. "HELP!" I scream as I run down the street. I reach my front gate and unlatch it, running in and closing it behind me. I sprint down my front path and search for my keys in my bag. I can't find them and both my parents are working late. "This isn't happening, this isn't happening." I whisper. I hear the man hit the fence, making it rock back and forth.

I run around the back of the house and try the back door, which is also locked. I run to the side and latch onto the pipe that's stuck to the wall. I begin to climb, determined to get into my bedroom window. I can see the man at my fence, nearly breaking it in half.

"This is how I die." I whisper as I reach my window. I hold on as I push the window upwards, opening enough space for me to slide in. Once in, I close it and flick the latch and close the curtain. I sit down on my bed and search for my phone in my bag. I find it and speed dial my mums number. It rings 5 times before going to her voice mail. "This isn't happening." I say. I dial my dads number. "Pick up - pick up." I repeat, but it goes to his voicemail. I look out my window and see the man in now running in circles in my yard. I decide I have no other option. I type 911 into my dial pad, and someone picks up within the first ring.

"I need help -"

"Stay inside your house, do not go outside. Stay inside your house, do not go outside. Stay inside your house, do not go outside." It was a prerecorded message.

"Hello?"

"Stay inside your house, do not go outside." No one was there. I was alone. No one would help me.