Coinholder - Anna_Aaron

Title: Coinholder

Author: Anna_Aaron

Genre: Teen Fiction/Fantasy

Summary: It's no secret Cassie's mum is struggling to bring up her and her little brother Jonah single handedly, so when Cassie receives an unexpected fully paid scholarship she can't bring herself to turn it down - no matter how much she wants to. But Cassie get's more than she bargained for when she arrives at her new school. She finds herself in the centre of a world she never even knew existed, with powers she doesn't fully understand, and it seems that all hope of peace among the elemental Coinholders has been pinned upon her shoulders. There's only one thing Cassie knows for certain - she can't do it alone. But who does she trust in a world where emotion can be manipulated, feelings can be controlled and thoughts can be tampered with?

My view:

Right from the beginning of this captivating story, I find myself feeling sympathetic towards our MC. It reminded me a lot of The Hunger Games, one of my favourite books.

I’m unsure whether this makes me lean more towards liking the story for being similar to it, or for being put off because of the similarities...

Well, as I read on, I realised that readers need to get past this, because the writer is definitely a strong one. She knows how to use her words as a tool to captivate the attention of her  readers. She knows how to make you feel how she wants you to feel – overall, she has you under her thrall.

I enjoyed reading this mostly because I’m such a big fan of fantasy books. Especially fantasy books that are actually fantasy books and not Werewolf and Vampire books labelled as fantasy. Yet another bothersome thing to little ole me.

Good flow to the writing, an interesting hook that instantly grabs the reader’s attention. I really found myself getting more and more into this the further I read.

Out of ten? Eight.