Chapter 18

A/N:

I was listening to "Yellow Flicker Beat" by Lorde while writing this, it's on the side.

Dedicated to @beverlyamethyst16 for being amazing. Thank you love :)

Chapter 18:

"Fallen by Lauren Kate," I read-whispered out loud as I scanned the front cover of a book with a girl in a black gothic dress. Currently, I was in our town library, a warm and cozy building with an even more comfortable environment inside. There was a fake fire by the right side of the library where a few beanbags were littered around, so when you were reading you'd be able to hear the fake crackling of the fire. The library was like a second home to me, it made me feel safe and content just by knowing that there were people here who appreciated the same things that I did.

This library was considerly big, compared to other buildings in our tiny town. We had a lot of shelves that were all taller than me by half my height, 5'4, so sometimes it was hard for me to grab a book that was on the top shelf.

Back to the book in hand, I read the blurb of the story to see if it captured my interest. It was about a girl falling in love with a fallen angel, or something. A supernatural story. The word supernatural reminded me of Raiden and how I hadn't heard or seen him in three days.

Since I had no school now, I had absolutely nothing to do but I also hadn't bothered to text or call him. I didn't know why and it had been bugging me, a constant thought pressuring me. I knew I should've done something but I just thought he could've been busy and all with the werewolf and pack stuff.

I sighed when I had realised I needed to put Fallen back on the top shelf. I stood on my tiptoes and reached upwards until the book was just on the edge of the shelf.

"Almost. There." I whispered in determination and strained to stretch longer. Thankfully, the gap that the book had occupied was still there so all I had to do was try and push it back in.

"Need any help there?" a voice whispered close behind me, the breath brushing lightly on my neck. I whirled and accidentally knocked the stranger in the head, dropping the book in the process. We laughed in awkwardness and before I could do anything, the person - Mr Ryan - bent down to pick it up for me.

"Mr Ryan," I gasped out in surprise and took a step away from him. Suddenly I felt very uncomfortable, probably because a minute ago he was nearly pressed up behind me. He was my teacher for goodness sakes.

Mr Ryan was wearing a simple T-shirt and some jeans. This was the most informal clothing I had ever seen him in and it was a weird sight but I had to admit, he looked alright. He got up with my book and casually put it back in to place for me.

"Call me Gareth, I'm not your teacher anymore," he shot me a kind grin but there was an unnerving glint in his eyes which I couldn't place.

"I think I'd be more comfortable with calling you Mr Ryan," I mumbled shyly.

He laughed and took a step forward, which caused me to take one back. Now, he was kind of creeping me out a bit.

"But I'd prefer it if you called me Gareth," he swiped a hand in his messy hair and shot me a smile. If he did that to another girl in our school, they probably wouldn't of passed up the opportunity. Even though Raiden was way more charming than Mr Ryan, I was still a girl and could appreciate a good-looking guy when I saw one.

"Anyways, it's such a shame that the school caught on fire. I liked my job as a gym teacher."

"Really? Why?" I always wondered whether the teachers in our school were actually genuine and that they wanted to teach us. Sometimes, you'd get those teachers that seem to always have something stuck up there and showed their hatred towards high school students. It was confusing because sometimes I just wondered why they chose to become a teacher in the first place if they hated the job.