What I did for summer vacation....Not!

This is a story that I had to make up about what I DIDN'T do. As in this whole thing is fiction!!!

I point at myself, "I. Am. Not. Going." My mother sighs, shaking her head. "But this program is for only the very gifted children. This could be a great opportunity for you to make some new friends." I let out a laugh, short and sharp. "Going to a 'special' program during summer vacation will ruin the rest of my life!" I turn around on my heels and start up the stairs. "Well, you're going and you better get ready. It's a few hours to get to New York City without traffic" my mother says. When I get to my room I slam the door so loud I thought I caused an earthquake. Great. Just great, I have to wake up early in the morning to go to summer school. Or what my mother calls 'A special program for gifted children'.  

No, I'm not a nerd (well, I am but not everyone knows it. Let's just keep that a secret), I don't have big huge bulky glasses, ugly pigtails in my hair or long awkward legs. I'm me. I look normal but I'm far from it. Ever since I was able to write I've known how to solve math problems that my oldest sister had trouble finding the answers to (she was in grade 12 at the time.) But it's not just math, I excel in all subjects. But not gym (if it wasn't for gym I would have a straight A plus average.) Buttercup, my dog jumped on me. It's funny how dogs just know when their owners are upset. I pet his head. "Hey boy. What's up?" You might be thinking why are you acting this way? You'll meet people who are just like you! But the truth is they won't look anything like how I do look. They'll look like what I described a gifted person to look like. And I hate it.  

I sit down at my desk and look at myself in the mirror. My dark brown hair was a mess from not even bothering to comb it. And what was the point? It's already past 10 pm. I get up and dive into my bed, covering myself with my blanket. I am going to miss a lot because of my mother, because I'm more gifted than the average gifted person. In less than 5 minutes, I was asleep.  

"Maya, sweetie. Wake up!" My mother pulls my blanket off of me, letting the warm yet cool June air engulf me. I groan but get up and sleepily walk to my bathroom. Once I close the door, I sit down on the floor, my head leaning against the cool bathtub. My eyes wonder looking for the clock. Huh. It was only four in the morning. She knocks on the door, "Sweetie, I don't hear the tap running. Get up please Maya!" I grunt and get up and get into the bathtub.  

When I get out everything was done. My suitcase was completely full of everything I need and an outfit was lying on my bed. It just shows you what kind of person my mom is. A control freak. I get dressed and go downstairs; my mother was tapping her foot narrowing her green eyes at me. "You took an hour. I knew you would. You have 2 minutes to grab whatever you want then we're hitting the road." I roll my eyes at her and grab a muffin and a mini box of corn pops. "Ready to go mom!" I say walking to the door. She blocks my path. "Funny. Go get your suitcase." She points a finger leading upstairs. I groan and run up the stairs. We left 2 seconds I get back down.  

The drive there seemed to take a lifetime instead of just 6 hours. But finally, we were there. The school looks ancient with dark blocks, old doors. It's tall and long the only thing new about it must have been the windows. They look like they were just put in yesterday. "Come on, come on. Before we're late!" my mother says getting out of the car. I look around, at all the other cars and people coming out with their families. My mother gets my room number and we head up to my brand new room for two months. When we reach the door, she stops, turns around and looks at me, her eyes getting watery. "I'm going to miss you sweetheart." She gives me a bear hug. If I didn't know better, I would have thought I was leaving off to college instead of going to a boarding school for two months.  

After a while of hugging she lets go of me and walks back the way we came. Leaving me, in front of my room to await my, new roommate on the other side. I take a deep breath then open the door. The room was big with deep purple curtains and two queen size beds one on either sides of the room. There are two desks a TV, a bedside table, a washroom, and a radio. I drop my bag on the floor and look around, taking everything in.