24. Losing.

Sam waited for John to come back. He hadn't come back for a long time. The smoke was coming in fast and although she had covered the bottom of the door, smoke rises upwards so it was seeping through the cracks around the door frame.

She quickly took out the phone from her pocket and called Jim. He wasn't picking up. Shouldn't the fire brigade be here by now? She thought to herself.

John was still unconscious and the fire was slowly closing in on him.

Sam was terrified. What if she loses the baby? What will she do? Jim doesn't even know she's pregnant? How is she going to tell him? What if he loses the baby then Jim is angry at her?

Millions of thoughts were flying around her head.

John still lay there. The wooden staircase was slowly losing its strength to stand up. The ceiling was made from wood too and it was slowly losing its strength.

All of this was happening and Jim was totally oblivious. He had no clue that this was going on.

The upstairs was now beginning to burn. The rooms opposite Sam had already caught on fire and it had seemed the fire was saving Sam's room until last. Sam was under the covers. She needed air and she quickly got up and opened the window. She stuck her head out and got some fresh air. She looked down. She wanted to jump but it was too high. How did this happen? She asked herself. She decided to try and find John. She grabbed the door handle but yelped back in pain. The handle was too hot to open.

Sam ran back to the bed and covered herself over again. Soon the door was being burned too. Fire had come inside the room and began to burn. Sam pulled the duvet tightly around her. She was trying hard not to cry. She had to concentrate. If she cried she wouldn't be able to think straight. She wanted so badly for someone to come up and get her. She really was beginning to think that she would jump out the window. A few broken bones would be more satisfactory than a million burns, or even her being burned to death.

She was also panicking about the baby. She honestly didn't know if it would make it if she jumped, or if she stayed. Everything was scaring her and she couldn't decide on a final plan so she stay put.

A few years ago, her English teacher told the class a quote. The teacher brought the image up on the screen and read it out loud. The quote said:

"Don't wait until it's too late, to tell someone, how much you love, how much you care. Because when they are gone, no matter how loud you shout or cry, they won't hear you anymore." Sam had always remembered this quote because it related to herself. She connected with it because her parents are gone. However, right now she was thinking about Jim. She had never really told him that she loved him. Not properly. And she feared she would never see him again, never hear his voice.

The smoke was coming in fast now, even though the window was open, there was still masses of smoke rising to the ceiling. Because Jon was unconscious, Sam was left by herself until help had arrived.

Meanwhile, Sherlock was minutes away, as was Jim.

Jim was in a taxi and his phone began to ring. "Hello?" He said.

"Hello Jim." It was Magnussen. "What do you want Charles?" Jim said slightly annoyed. "Hold on." Magnussen paused. "Do you, smell that?" Magnussen asked. Jim frowned. "Smell what?" He asked. "Burning. It smells of burning." Magnussen chuckled. "What are you talking ab-" Jim trailed off as the taxi turned the corner and Jim saw his mansion burning. Smoke and fire was coming out of windows and doors and the house which was once a beautiful marble white was now black and grey, full of darkness.

Jim's mouth hung open in shock and he couldn't believe the disastrous sight in front of him.