Chapter 10

Taryn took a deep breath as she threw up a dagger. Hanabi would be arriving soon. She still wasn’t sure what to do with the girl. All she had wanted was to make sure her cousin could stay with her team. She had only bought some time.

Her own students were lounging on the grass not far away. Kuro had his leg stretched out. He wouldn’t be training for a while. The other two looked a bit worse for wear, but they were fine.

Again, she turned her gaze towards the road and waited for her cousin.

“Where are we going anyway?” Tengai was told not to ask, but couldn’t help it. It was his curious and wary nature to blame. He was like a rabbit that’d rather choose flight over fighting. He blamed it partially on his own insecurities and partially on Hanabi for having such a strong assertive personality.

Hanabi let out a small huff. “We’re almost there, so be quiet and follow my lead or I’ll leave you behind.”

Itsuki gave a low chuckle, patting his friend over the back. “Don’t look so scared, Tengai. But I’m curious too, Hanabi-sama. You show up at our houses and demand we go with you…wherever it is. It isn’t a mission, otherwise sensei would be with us too—so what’s going on?”

Hanabi stopped in her tracks, frowning. “Would you both be happier if I…wasn’t on the team anymore?” She had failed to think about their feelings before, until now. Maybe she was kidding herself; believing they’d be upset if she were to be taken away from the team and trained under father’s hand.

Her older teammates both blinked, confused. “What are you saying?” Tengai said.

“Are you upset with us for not making it to Chunin? We’ll try even harder the next time. I promise I won’t be so weak the next time.”

“We’ll be sure not to embarrass you again, Hanabi-sama.” Tengai added.

Hanabi gritted her teeth. They both sounded so pitiful; believing they were the problem. “Idiots…I wasn’t mad at either of you at all. I’m angered…at myself. I’m the one who isn’t good enough to remain on this team.”

Itsuki and Tengai looked as though they had been slapped in the face. “Y-you? Hanabi-sama? But why?”

Hanabi clenched her fists. She refused to let this get to her. That was the whole point of her allowing her cousin to train her, so she wouldn’t be affected like this. She continued on, ignoring her teammates for now. Both now very concerned, Itsuki and Tengai quietly followed their leader, exchanging worried gazes.

A small smile appeared around Taryn’s lips when she noticed her cousin’s teammates. She pushed away from the wall she was leaning against and directed her attention to the boys. “Are you two here to participate or to merely watch?”

“Erm, actually, we weren’t told what we were going to do.” Tengai carefully didn’t make very much eye contact with the woman. He nervously looked around, recognizing the three boys to the side.

“Hanabi-sama, didn’t explain.” Itsuki also said. “You wanted to train, Hanabi-sama?” He looked curiously to the young Hyuuga. It still didn’t explain their earlier exchange.

“Hmm,” Taryn nodded. She glanced at Hanabi. So the young Hyuuga was reluctant to share her problems with her teammates. It wasn’t her job to inform them, but it would make things a bit more difficult. “Then why did you bring them?” she asked her cousin.