Chapter 1

“Alright you rookies,” Anko gathered everyone’s attention with her exuberant voice, “as first time proctors of the Chunin Exams, I need to set some things straight!”

The new Chunin (as far as it being their first time to help proctor an exam) in the room shifted nervously; they had all heard about how…intense Anko could be, especially when it came to the exams. They all paid close attention though, so that they wouldn’t get snapped at for being inattentive.

“We have three areas to cover in this exam—a written test, a survival test, and a tournament for the finalists of the exams. There will be chunin overlooking the exam from every angle, corner, and sideline of them. Your job will vary with each part of the exam, but the main job for everyone is to keep the peace and make sure the exams continue to run smoothly.”

Akira leaned over to Ken and whispered, “Sheesh, why are we here again?”

“Because,” Ken whispered in a harsh manner, “sensei said we needed this kind of experience.”

“Shhh, you two are going to get us in trouble.” Suzume nudged both boys to be silent.

Both boys rolled their eyes and looked away from Suzume, though both did steal a final glance at their teammate who was listening diligently to Anko.

“The first part of this exam will require you to help weed out those that are unfit for gathering intelligence without being caught…the second part, some of you will be divided in groups of three and be placed on a summoning scroll for standby. The reason is behind these two scrolls…” Anko held up the Heaven and Earth scrolls to show, “If a genin team opens either one of these scrolls, you and your unit will be summoned to their location—render the genin unconscious for the remainder of the second part of the exam.”

“Seriously?” Akira whispered again to Ken, “It’s almost like baby-sitting. I thought we were done with that kinda thing.”

“SHHH! Akira.” Suzume whispered quiet loudly.

“You three there!” All three flinched and looked up to see Anko pointing at them with an irritated look on her face, “what seems to be the problem?”

“N-nothing, ma’am!” Akira stuttered, “We were just saying how excited we are to get things started.”

Ken growled under his breath and Suzume tightened her fist in irritation of her teammate. They all froze and took in a big gulp when Anko leaned in with a suspicious frown. The woman’s frown then turned into a bright smile as she closed her eyes happily;

“That’s the spirit! Everyone! Follow this group’s example and get into this exam! You’ll love to make the genin squirm, haha!”

Suzume, Akira, and Ken all let out a breath of relief when the excited Jounin’s attention left them and went back to her discussion of the exams.

“Now stay quiet.” Suzume warned in Akira and Ken’s ears.