Chapter Twenty Six

“Get up. Get up!”

Scarlett awoke to the unpleasant sensation of having ice cubes thrown at her.

‘What the frickity frack Lydia?” She yelled.

“Shhh!” Lydia had finally stopped dropping the goddamn ice cubes on her chest, ‘You’ll wake up mom.”

“Good. Maybe she’ll tell you to leave me alone.”

Lydia sighed, sitting on the edge of Scarlett’s bed. “I have a bad feeling. You need to get up and come with me.”

Scarlett lifted a hand up to her eyes and rubbed them sleepily. She couldn’t catch a break, could she? Twelve hours ago she almost died, like three or four times, and all she wanted to do was sleep for a week. “Couldn’t you have waited a few hours? The sun won’t be up for another…” Scarlett looked at the clock and groaned. “Four hours.”

“Get up. I don’t know how long we’ll be so get dressed in something appropriate for all occasion.” With that, she left Scarlett’s room so she could get dressed.

Scarlett threw the covers off and got up. When she looked in the mirror she saw that her face was crinkled and tired, making her resemble a forty five year old woman. That may be harsh, but waking up at three in the morning did that to you.

Scarlett got ready like she normally did. Straightened her hair, minimal makeup, blah, blah, blah. She went to her wardrobe and decided she was going to give tribute to American Horror Story: Coven seeing as she had just finished the season. She wore a black, flowy, lace Free People dress Allison had bought for her as a present, a pair of black heeled boots and white knee high socks. To finish it off, a wide brimmed hat. Scarlett had spent so many days is leather pants and jeans she had forgotten why she loved her dresses so much.

Scarlett grabbed her bag and met Lydia at her car.

“Finally. You look like something out of American Horror Story: Coven.” Lydia remarked, opening the driver’s seat to her car.

Scarlett beamed and she slid into the car. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” Lydia started the car and looked at her strangely. “What’s wrong with you? You’re being all… happy.”

“Why is that such a surprise? I’m always happy!” Lydia looked at her blankly. “Okay 90% of the time. Maybe 60%. But whatever. I just am.”

Lydia smiled. “You like him don’t you?”

Scarlett quickly tried to cover up her blush by denying but she ended up stuttering like an idiot. “I don’t know who you’re talking about. I don’t like anyone. Especially not Liam. Not at all. I actually have my eyes on Mason. I think he likes me. Not Liam.”

“Mason’s gay.” Lydia laughed.

Scarlett stayed quiet, having no answer to that. She suddenly remembered that Lydia hadn’t told her what they were doing. “Hey, Lyds. Not that I doubt you or anything but where are we going? And why?”

Lydia swallowed. “I don’t know. I just woke up and I felt like I needed to go somewhere. I just didn’t want to go alone.”

Scarlett watched Lydia carefully. This was the most vulnerable Scarlett had seen her in months. But Scarlett didn’t deal well with vulnerability and Lydia was never this way so she just cracked a joke.

“I like your shirt. I heard St. Patrick’s Day and clovers and stuff are very in at the moment. Even though it’s September.”

“They’re palm trees.” Lydia huffed.