; pyrocynical

a/n: how'd we get to almost 50k reads so fast???? whoa slow down, folks.

fantasy and royal au

fantasy | title: mythical

- - -

"what are you doing?" Henry asked the prince, Niall, as he searched the library for a certain book that he wanted to find. "i'm trying to find a book about-" "about?" Henry raised an eyebrow, leaning against one of the book shelves, his suit of armor rustling as he did.

"mermaids," "that's not for a prince to read about," Henry chuckled, but Niall just rolled his eyes and continued his search. he grabbed fantasy books and other marine-related books, "what's gotten in you that you're suddenly interested in mermaids?" Henry said, crossing his arms over his chest.

Niall huffed, "remember when we went on a quest and i nearly drowned in a river?" "yeah, why?" Henry scratched his head and Niall grabbed a book. "a mermaid saved me." the blond said, reading the title of the book.

Henry grew more confused, "are you on mushrooms or something?" he asked his friend. Niall scoffed, "i'm serious! she had the prettiest eyes and her tail was. . . golden." Niall said, remembering the time he saw her.

"prince Niall!" sir Brandon yelled as Niall began sinking down the river. Niall felt his lungs getting crashed and his vision was beginning to blur. that's when he saw a glint of gold within the distant.

he tried to keep his eyes open but pressure of the waves were crushing on him and he felt his body growing heavier and heavier by the minute. he felt a hand on his cheek and he forcefully lifted his eyes, seeing a girl in front of him.

she had (eye-color) eyes that swirled in this holographic-like manner but she had a tail connected to her. Niall's eyes widened before he finally passed out.

"i definitely think you were just under the pressure," Henry pursued, following the prince out of the library with three mythology books in his hands. "alright, don't believe me but if i see her again, you owe me your horse," Niall smugly said, smirking at his friend. Henry laughed, "fine, fine."

Niall bid farewell to Henry as they separated ways; him going to his room to scan the books. he began walking up the stairs, he heard someone call out for him. as he looked over his shoulder, he saw the castle's royal sorceress; lady Hyojin.

"hello, prince," she greeted, doing curtsy. Niall bowed his head, "and what do i owe this pleasure of your visit?" he asked, smiling at her. he didn't notice the blush within her cheeks, "your father wishes to see you."

"tell him i'm busy researching," Niall said as he continued to walk up the stairs. "researching on what, sire?" "mermaids."

- - -

'. . . golden-tailed mermaids represent royalty and beauty.' Niall read out, his fingers trailing upon the sentence as he continued to read. 'they rarely show themselves, considering they are located in the deepest parts of neither oceans or rivers.' he hummed and scanned through it even more.

'if one decides to show themselves to a human, this means that a golden-tailed finds this human interesting.' he chuckled at the thought that a mermaid found him interesting enough to show herself to him. Niall closed the book, setting it on the table next to his bed. as he did, one of the books fell and opened on a random page.