Chapter 27- Sold Like A Broodmare

"Rhaenyra Targaryen was murdered by her brother, or rather his dragon. It ate her while her son watched. What's left of her is buried in the crypts right down there." Joffrey says excitedly, showing Margaery towards the sept. I stand with a brooding look to my brother who gives off a giddy expression. Margaery stares on with excitement.

"The ceremony is traditionally held in the main sanctum, which seats 700 comfortably." I inform once my mother pulls me back to the matter at hand.

"There appears to be a good deal of room elsewhere on the premises for everyone else." Olenna says looking around curiously.

"There aren't more than 700 people of any importance." Cersei Lannister reminds the older woman.

"No, the rest are there to look adoringly upon the 700 to remind them how superior they must be to have the best seats." She says with a small smile towards me, causing my eyes to find my feet.

"Over there in that urn, the ashes of Aerion Targaryen. Aerion Brightflame they called him. He thought drinking wildfire would turn him into a dragon." This rouses a laugh out of Margaery. One that almost seems real. But I know better. "He was wrong. And, of course, there's the Mad King, killed by my uncle. Would you like to see where the last Targaryens are buried?"

"Are you sure Lady Margaery doesn't find all this a bit macabre?" Cersei pipes up, aggravated at watching her work her own son so well.

"Oh, no, it's quite all right, Your Grace. I'd love to see their tombs, really. It's like taking a walk through history." She says with a thoughtful smirk.

"The tomb's just up here." Joffrey leads his lady by the arm. She holds tight and looks back at me for a moment before whispering to her betrothed.

"You were married here, Your Grace?" Olenna speaks, looking around the sanctuary.

"Yes. As will all my children." Cersei replies, looking over to me.

"Must seem like only yesterday." The old rose sighs put.

"Seems like a lifetime ago." My mother admits.

"Your husband, was he buried here as well?"

"No, he wanted his remains returned to Storm's End."

"Such a tragedy."

"A fairly predictable tragedy. Hunting and drinking don't mix."

"I should say not. My son's a hunter. It helps him forget he's never been within a mile of a real battle."

"I seem to recall he laid siege to Storm's End for the better part of a year."

"All he laid siege to was the banquet table in the command tent." This pulls a chuckle from the cold queen. "I told him to stay out of Robert's rebellion. He had no business fighting an actual warrior. We mothers do what we can to keep our sons and daughters from the grave. But they do seem to yearn for it. We shower them with good sense, and it slides right off like rain off a wing."

"And yet the world belongs to them." I mutter. Olenna's face softened as she looks at me.

"A ridiculous arrangement, to my mind." Margaery's laugh echos in the tomb. The sound of shouting outside becomes louder as we watch the doors being opened.

"Joffrey." My mother mutters in utter fear. "Wait." But her wish is in vain. The crowds scream for them. Margaery an Joffrey. Queen and King. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Sansa, Margaery and I sit with a sumptuous meal, watching Loras and another man battle for show. Margaery had told me of her plan to marry Sansa to Loras a few nights ago while we sat in her bed and told each other what we did that day. The little moments were all we had. Every time we sat there my feelings for her grew. But I feared if I were to bring it up she would tell Joffrey and my head would be on a spike. But I truly trusted her.