Chapter 11- A Realm in Ruins

I sit next to my mother. My brother sat on the throne lazily. I couldn't help but cringe when I looked at him with the antlered crown upon his head. He looked vicious with a sadistic smile.

"I'm done for the day. I'll leave the rest of the matters to you, mother." Joffrey says as he sets the crown on the throne. I watch Ser Ilyn heat the knife on the flame. The man screamed and cried as they held him to watch.

"Please! Please! Your grace! I'll never sing again!" He looks at me as my brother turns away. "Princess! I beg of you!" He doesn't bother to beg at the queens knees. I look to Sansa who is approached by Joffrey. I block out the mans screams and stands to follow them. My mother grabs my hand and shakes her head.

"Let the king do as he pleases." My mother hisses.

"She has been through enough. You are no better than him if you sit back and let it happen." I snap at him. Varys gives me a knowing look. He shakes his head a little. I let out a deep sigh and sit down.

"She is a traitor my dear. She deserves all he gives her."

"Your so called traitor died at the sept of Baelor. Killed by your angel son. That girl is not a traitor. She is a prisoner." I mutter so that only she hears. She ignores my talk and stands to address the court. I block out her voice and all the people watching. I stare down at the floor.
We are at war now. Joffrey is king. My father is dead. Eddard Stark is dead. The realm is in ruins.

Once my mother has addresses all the people of court, needing her attention, I stand and walk swiftly out of the room. I find Sansa's room and knock softly. I hear weak sobs from behind the door. I don't wait for an answer before opening the door. I close it quietly behind me.

"Go away!" A weak voice yelps. I walk to her bed where she lays under the covers. I sit on the bed and place a hand on her head. She opens her eyes and her cries grow louder. She sits up and holds me tightly.

"Little dove." I mutter soothingly. "You're okay. Everything will be okay. You will go home soon. I'll see to that dear girl." I kiss her forehead and sigh against it. "Did he hurt you?"

"He made me look at him." She sobs out. "He has his guard..." I hush her and pull back, looking at her cut lip.

"Which one?"

"Set Meryn." She whimpers as she looks up at me. "I want to go home. I miss my father. I miss my mother. I miss Arya. I want to go home." I hold her face softly.

"And you will. You just have to be patient. I swear the old gods and the new I will get you home safely. I will help you Sansa Stark. I will protect you from my bother in this horrible place." Her cries slow and she nods, settling her head in the crook of my neck. I hold her there for a long while. Waiting till her cries cease. "I have to take my leave. I'll see you in the morning okay? Just rest." She nods but I know very well she will not be sleeping tonight. If I were here I would never sleep again.

"Well struck..." Joffrey mutters at the hound hurls a man to the floor deep below. I cringe and look to Sansa who holds no emotion in her face. I put my hand on hers and she doesn't even flinch. Her face is pale compared to her red and puffy eyes. I want to help her. But I can do nothing. "Well struck, dog." The king says as he stands. I smile a fake smile to him. We sit under a canopy next to each other with Sansa on my left. "Did you like that sister?" He says smirking down at me.

"It was well done." I nod. He turns to Sansa who cowers at his gaze.

"And you?"

"It was well struck, your grace." She mutters.